Do you enjoy helping people? Are you the type of employee who enjoys having a positive impact on the lives of your clients? Are you detail-oriented and conscientious in following through on assignments? If this sounds like you, bring your professional knowledge, excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence to work - join us and be part of our hard-working team of professionals with the City of Fort Worth Neighborhood Services Department, Home Improvement and Construction Division!
The Home Improvement and Construction Division helps Fort Worth homeowners in need, by providing a variety of home repair services to address health and safety needs. We work closely with elderly, disabled, low income and minority communities to improve the quality of life in their homes and neighborhoods. We are seeking a social service professional to provide the critical interface between our clients and the construction and repair professionals who deliver our services. The ideal candidate must be a critical thinker with great customer service, communication, time-management, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
The Human Services Specialist's primary purpose is to assess client needs and determine applicant eligibility, perform intake and outreach activities, support client needs through appropriate referrals to additional social services, and perform a variety of responsible administrative duties in compliance with the requirements of varied federal and state grant resources. The position will primarily support implementation of the City's Lead Hazard Reduction program, and may also assist with implementation of other home repair programs such as the Priority Repair Program, the Healthy Homes for Heroes Veterans Program, and related similar activities.
The ideal candidate will be experienced and knowledgeable with interviewing and assessing client needs, documenting client eligibility, reading and interpreting applicable program regulations and guidelines regarding client services, and providing referrals to other agencies or resources that can address other identified client needs (such as housing, food or nutrition services, health or mental health services, and emergency financial assistance, etc.). In addition, the ideal candidate will also have:
- Strong background in providing social services, including intake, assessments and referrals;
- Strong knowledge of social service resources available in Fort Worth and Tarrant County;
- Ability to become familiar with various detailed program guidelines to determine eligibility and make appropriate referrals;
- Experience with communicating decisions, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures to clients or customers verbally and in writing;
- Experience prioritizing and processing a high volume of information and data on a daily basis;
- Experience maintaining detailed and accurate file documentation;
- Maintain strong professional conduct, confidentiality and respectful communication;
- Ability to demonstrate compassion and empathy with clients/customers who are in crisis and may be frustrated, upset or angry;
- Experience demonstrating effective conflict resolution skills with co-workers, managers, and clients/customers;
- A strong desire to work with the public in a helping and supportive capacity;
- Bilingual Skills (English/Spanish).
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology or related degree with college level course work in sociology, social work PLUS two (2) years of experience in interviewing, assessing, determining eligibility and providing referrals for a social services or related program. Preference may be given to higher levels of education, experience and certifications as related to the vacancy. Possession of a BSW or LMSW, is not required, but is highly preferred. Bilingual (English/Spanish) Preferred. Some general knowledge of home maintenance issues and terminology regarding heating and air conditioning, plumbing, roof repairs, etc. is beneficial but not required. Prior experience in performing community outreach and education is a plus.
Microsoft Word and Excel computer skills are required. Heavy public and telephone contact required.
Valid Texas Driver's License.
An essential skills test will be required at the time of interview.