The City of El Cajon is seeking Student Interns to provide assistance on a variety of projects in their Public Works and Fire Department.
Intern assignments are at-will, part-time/seasonal/temporary positions for active students. As such, work hours are limited to no more than 999 hours in a Fiscal Year.
There are two options for the internship position:
- Paid Internship - Provides students with work experience in their field of study (will not receive college credit)
- Unpaid Internship - May satisfy internship program requirements (such as college credits)
Function: Under direct supervision, to assist in assigned departmental activities related to the operations of the particular department. Duties may vary widely depending on the departmental needs.
ENGINEERING DESIGN AND GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS) ASSIGNMENT:
- Assist Project Managers in the preparation of project contract documents (plans, specifications, and estimates).
- Using AutoCAD, prepare plans and specifications for design projects.
- Record drawing research through City's database.
- Use of Bluebeam software to review plans submitted by consultants.
- Assist project managers in the inspection of existing City assets to help determine project scope of work.
- Assist project managers in construction progress documentation including invoices, request for information, change orders, and closeout procedures.
- Assist project managers in his/her duties through construction observation and reporting.
- Interact with other City departments and general public.
- Utilize ESRI's ArcGIS software to perform data digitization, feature creation, Fire Department preplans and data editing/modification.
- Conduct data research and compile spatial data.
- Select and apply appropriate research techniques to conduct studies and surveys.
- Collect, compile, and interpret data.
- Assist in the engineering design of traffic projects, including roadway lighting, traffic signals, signage and striping plans.
- Review traffic control plans and related specifications for other Public Works divisions.
- Schedule maintenance requests of street lights repair and traffic signals.
- Conduct and update inventories of traffic control devices.
- Update and maintain city traffic volume counts.
- Perform traffic engineering speed surveys.
Experience: None. Exposure to an office setting is desirable.