The purpose of this position is to provide general administrative clerical support to their assigned department. This is accomplished by performing daily office tasks that may include, but is not limited to, front desk reception, answering phones, filing, maintaining records, copying, editing, preparing memos and general correspondence, agenda, preparing meeting minutes, posting and distributing mail, creating general reports, data entry, typing general correspondence, maintaining office supplies, taking customer payments, and assisting the general public as necessary through exceptional customer service. Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes, requires regular interaction involving exchange and receipt of information. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving general instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results. There is some opportunity for discretion when making selections among a few, easily identifiable choices, but with little room for deviation. Other duties include auditing customer accounts, completing work orders, processing purchase orders, assisting with special events and providing general clerical support or back-up to other departmental personnel in all day-to-day operation matters, and other duties as required.
II. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
Requires under and including one (1) year of experience in progressive clerical support.
III. EMPLOYMENT REQUIREMENTS
- Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
- Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
- Must have a current valid class "C" driver's license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
- Bilingual English/Spanish preferred.
IV. SKILL ABILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Requires a working knowledge of general office procedures and policies, as well as general office equipment and computers.
- Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contacts may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
- Work requires the use of standard technical skills appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Proficient computer skills in a Microsoft Windows environment; includes Excel, Word, Publisher, database management, and record keeping.
- Excellent typing, filing and telephone etiquette skills.
V. ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Note: This information is intended to be descriptive of the key responsibilities of the position. The list of essential functions below does not identify all duties performed by any single incumbent in this position.
- Create, fill out, and generate detailed reports daily; provide effective customer service; answer questions and provide detailed information and documents to customers; prioritize, prepare and refer work orders.
- Work with various software programs and telephone consoles.
- Act as first point of contact to customers/citizens; respond to correspondence; answer and re-direct telephone calls to appropriate personnel; perform clerical functions such as typing, scanning, copying, and other general office responsibilities; maintain filing system to ensure effective file retention and prepare documentation for files that will need to be disposed of; receive and distribute incoming mail/documentation; organize and reserve meeting room spaces; manage event calendar.
- Participate in payroll functions; perform routine bookkeeping and accounting procedures; prepare and monitor work orders; maintain accounting records for financial reporting procedures; prepare and submit invoices; participate in account reconciliation functions; prepare requests for quotations and purchase orders; assist in the preparation of daily cash receipts reports and financial reports.
General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
- Personal computer
- Copier/Fax Machine
- 10-key Calculator
VII. WORK CONDITIONS
Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Office environment.
VIII. PHYSICAL DEMANDS
The job has no significant hazards and physical demands are low. Duties involve working with lightweight material, and/or force equal to lifting 20 pounds.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro