City of Edinburg Edinburg, TX
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The purpose of this position is to maintain the police communications system and assist the Communication Manager supervise Operators in the day to day operations. Other duties include but not limited to observing violations, staying current on updated policies and procedures, ensuring staff is informed of changes, overseeing the training of new staff, completing work orders as needed, and other assigned duties. May supervise work of others and may serve as a lead worker providing direction to others.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides supervision and guidance to operators.
- Verifies logs for proper documentation.
- Handles complaints and ensures all necessary information is obtained.
- Implements and evaluates proficiency training programs, training processes and curriculum.
- Assists with the operations of all communications systems.
- Maintains current files and information within local and state guidelines.
- Enters and retrieves information daily.
- Transfers fire, police, and animal control calls as needed.
- Answers phone calls regarding police and fire business.
- Runs checks for officers and interact with other agencies.
- Records stolen items as needed.
- Communicates via police and fire radio.
- Ensure communication equipment operates effectively.
- Performs related work and reports as assigned.
Conditions of Employment:
a. Applicant will be subject to a complete background investigation. Incomplete, inaccurate and/or failure to report information will cause the applicant rejection from consideration.
b. Applicant must take and pass a pre-employment drug test administered by the City of Edinburg at the City's expense.
c. Must have a current valid class "C" driver's license from the Texas Department of Public Safety with a satisfactory driving record.
d. Must have a current Advanced Telecommunicator TCOLE License.
e. Must be a U.S. Citizen (license requirement)
f. Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred.
High school diploma, GED or equivalency.
Community college, vocational, business, and/or technical coursework.
Required Work Experience:
Four (4) years of experience in police and/or fire dispatching.
Five (5) years of experience in police and fire dispatching.
Supervisory Experience Requirement:
Required Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Requires a working knowledge of police communication system, policies and procedures.
- Necessary knowledge to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes.
- Knowledge of TCIC/NCIC policies and procedures.
- Work requires supervising and monitoring performance for a regular group of employees or departments to include providing input on disciplinary actions and work objectives/ effectiveness and realigning work as needed.
- Communication skills.
- Analytical judgment and decision-making abilities.
- Work requires a comprehensive, practical knowledge of a technical field with use of analytical judgment and decision-making abilities appropriate to the work environment of the organization.
- Excellent computer skills, knowledge of police radio communication procedures, and good speaking skills to relay clear and concise messages or relate instructions.
- Able to work without direct supervision.
- Familiarity with City of Edinburg geography and surrounding areas.
Copier/Fax General office and safety equipment/materials to include but not limited to the following:
Telecommunication Device for the Deaf (TTY)
Radio / Communication Equipment
Relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards. Applicant will be indoors in an office environment.
The job has no significant exposure to hazards and physical demands are moderate, but require constant fine dexterity, vision, and handling of paperwork. Requires stooping, kneeling, bending, turning and reaching. Duties involve working with lightweight materials and/or using little force.
While performing the duties of this class, the incumbent is regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; use math and mathematical reasoning; perform detailed work, multiple deadlines and concurrent tasks; work with constant interruptions; and interact with staff and the public
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
City of Edinburg
BusinessView all jobs at City of Edinburg