22-005 Police Secretary I
City of Dover, NH Dover, NH
- Expired: July 08, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
The City of Dover Police Department is seeking an individual to perform highly responsible secretarial work, develop office procedures, and answer routine and varied inquiries. Individuals assigned to the position of secretary are required to operate with some independence, to exercise judgment and tact in answering inquiries and to make decisions regarding the correct course of action within the scope of their assignment. This is a regular part-time, 32 hour per week position. $17.02 to $24.66 per hour. Closing date is open until filled.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Except as specifically noted, the following functions are considered essential to this position. The listed examples may not include all duties found in this class):
1. Receive telephone calls and visitors to department. Screen for nature of business and refer to administrative superior or properly direct inquiry, to include initiating calls for police service. Answer routine and varied inquiries based on knowledge of department operations relative to arrest, offense, incident and accident reports; licensing procedures, etc.
2. Type a variety of correspondence, memoranda, forms and reports from written text or dictation recording equipment; type material in final form assuring spelling, grammar and punctuation are correct. Review reports submitted by police officers to ensure format, content, and accompanying paperwork complies with reporting requirements.
3. Utilize the department's numerical filing system for call for service records, reports and identification files, and the archiving of the same. Utilize associated reference files for fingerprint cards, booking photos, licenses, administrative files for memoranda, licensing, etc.
4. Perform routine operational maintenance of office equipment such as typewriters, copy machines, and cash registers.
5. Utilize the court management program, ticket program and other specialized computer programs or applications as required to support specific offices, bureaus or programs within the department.
6. Prepare cash out reports.
7. Provide court dispositions to the State of NH.
8. Perform other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
A. Considerable knowledge of modern office practices and procedures. Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time. Ability to work in an environment requiring repetitive hand and finger movements, as well as some full body twisting and turning, and lifting up to 25 pounds.
B. Knowledge of police operations and procedures as they relate to the duties within the assignment. Knowledge of laws and ordinances as they relate to the assignment.
C. Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, arithmetic and vocabulary.
D. Ability/skills to type accurately and rapidly.
E. Ability to effectively prioritize work assignments, ability to effectively review reports and work of others for completeness.
F. Knowledge, ability and skills to utilize a computer system and related equipment. Ability to transcribe letters and reports from written or dictated sources.
G. Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing and to work in a confidential environment.
H. Ability to communicate effectively with persons who may display hostile tendencies.
I. Ability to maintain accurate records and files.
J. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, members of other departments, and the general public.
K. Ability to utilize telephone equipment.
L. Ability to function effectively within a business office environment.
M. Ability to multitask.
EDUCATION/LICENSURE/CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: High school diploma or equivalent supplemented by specialized training in secretarial skills and two-years' experience in secretarial work; or any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates possession of the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Valid driver's operator license.
Those associated with part-time employment.
City of Dover, NH
BusinessView all jobs at City of Dover, NH