Events & Facilities Coordinator Assistant
- Posted: over a month ago
Events are back in full swing at the City of Des Moines and we are looking for someone to ensure our day of event operations runs smoothly. You will be working with a team of facility attendants to provide care and control of multi-purpose event facilities around the City of Des Moines. This position is a great entry opportunity for someone who is interested in pursuing event planning as a career.
Open until filled. Initial Screening date of August 24, 2022.
$4,323 - $ 5,254 per month. DOE
Complete the online application at https://desmoineswa.applicantpro.com/jobs/and attach a resume and cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements.
Nature of Work
Under the supervision of the Events and Facilities Manager and with work direction provided by the Events Program Specialist, the Events Assistant is responsible for all aspects of day of event coordination, to include pre-planning, onsite coordination, observation and enforcement of State, County, and City health and safety protocols, policies and procedures. This position is also responsible for the care and control of multi-purpose recreation facilities for special events to include maintaining all amenities, providing customer service, facility monitoring and security, and custodial/maintenance. Duties may include providing lead direction and training to Facility Attendants and assisting the public by providing information related to facility rentals. Work hours vary based upon program/event schedules and may include non-traditional hours, evening weekends and holidays.
- Oversees the day of event programming, staff and volunteers, maintenance, and facility logistics, rentals, and operations of various event locations.
- Assist in monitoring contractual requirements, to ensure they are met by program vendors or contractors prior to services being rendered.
- Communicate and meet with customers on event days and assist in determining needs.
- Serve as a facility representative at events.
- Foster customer relationships to increase participation rates and event loyalty.
- Assists in the pre- and post-event walk through to assess facility condition.
- Provides correspondence with event participants and takes direction from the Events Program Specialist to execute day of event. Assists vendors with coordinating event logistics, program registration, and event detailing, and planning the event and onsite coordination to ensure the program runs smoothly.
- Performs and/or supervises safe event set up/tear down and facility/grounds cleaning and maintenance as needed.
- Assists in coordinating procurement, disbursement, and maintains proper inventory to support the program.
- Assists with patron's use of City of Des Moines owned rental facilities and locations where programs and events are being held; provide information regarding the facility, arrange rentals, etc.
- Monitors user functions to ensure that building security is maintained and the rental contract is adhered to; opens and closes buildings, gates, shelters, ensuring that alarms are properly set if applicable; and property is secured.
- Ensure staff is in assigned locations as needed at the time they are needed; arranges breaks as applicable.
- Maintains facility, equipment and amenities; i.e., cleans restrooms, sets up tables and chairs to change room set up, empties garbage.
- Assists with facility marketing, social media, and advertising as assigned. Answers department telephone, conduct facility site tours, and give requested information.
- Assists facility users/staff with facility setup and takedown, equipment checkout and inventory, lost and found, and general site supervision and security.
- Attends meetings/training as required.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative, effective working relationships with co-workers, other City employees, and the general public using principles of good customer service.
- Reports for scheduled work with regular, reliable and punctual attendance.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including but not limited to being assigned to work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, equalize peak work periods, or balance the workload.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Proficiency in social media promotions on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and additional platforms as needed.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices involved in special events planning.
- Knowledge of customer service philosophies and practices.
- Skill in marketing including digital campaigns.
- Skill in concise and descriptive writing for both print and social media marketing campaigns.
- Skill in creating processes that lead to efficiency in produced events and programs.
- Skill in solving problems and communicating effectively with staff, event sponsors, vendors, and community organizations.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs. in order to arrange tables, chairs, and room equipment.
- Must be able to read, interpret, direct, and follow rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Handle multiple tasks in high-paced environment.
- Give direction to event staff and provide lead direction to other employees.
- Communicate with clients in all types of situations.
- Deal with the public with poise and tact in sometimes-stressful situations.
- Be flexible and self-starting in work assigned for the event or shift.
Education and Experience Requirements
- High school graduate or GED.
- Two years of experience in a position with a municipal entertainment center, convention facility, major exposition, events management firm, or entertainment promotions agency with responsibility for planning, coordinating, scheduling, arranging, facilitating, and promoting events.
- Experience with marketing events utilizing social media platforms, desired.
- Possession of and the ability to maintain throughout employment a valid Washington State Driver's License with a good driving record.
- Maintain current Blood borne Pathogens training.
- Must be willing to work nights, weekends and holidays.
- Possession of a valid First Aid/CPR card, or obtain within three months of hire date, and maintain throughout employment.
- Because of the known effects of tobacco use, the City of Des Moines does not hire applicants who use tobacco products.
- Successful completion of a pre-employment background and criminal history check.
- Indoor and outdoor work environments. Outdoor environment can include uneven and unstable walking surfaces, tripping hazards, and inclement weather conditions. Occasional travel to off-site locations is required. Hand-eye coordination and fine-manipulation skills are necessary to operate computers and a variety of office machinery. The position also requires the ability to speak and hear to exchange information, sit for extended periods of time, bend and stretch to retrieve and maintain files and program supplies, and lift up to 50 pounds.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- The City of Des Moines is committed to hiring a diverse workforce and all qualified applicants, including all ethnic backgrounds and persons with disabilities, are encouraged to apply. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, color, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability status, or any other basis prohibited by federal, state, or local law.
- In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer is obligated to make a reasonable accommodation only to the known limitations of an otherwise qualified individual with a disability. In general, it is the responsibility of the applicant or employee with a disability to inform the employer that an accommodation is needed to participate in the application process, to perform essential job functions or to receive equal benefits and privileges of employment.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
City of Des Moines Washington
Arts and EntertainmentView all jobs at City of Des Moines Washington