Dispatcher - Telecommunications Officer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Under supervision of the Police Support Service Supervisor. Receive requests for police, fire and medical services via multi-line telephones, including E911 lines and Computer-Aided Dispatch (CAD); dispatch public safety units, including police, fire and EMS; operate various telecommunications equipment; simultaneously attend to telephone and radio traffic while inputting and extracting data from computer systems; prepare reports, maintain files. Work various assigned shifts and days, including weekends and holidays as required. Works in confined space and remains seated for long periods of time. Assist the public during jail visitations and release process. Monitor inmates in the jail. Monitor video surveillance of City Facilities. Assist judge during hearings at the jail as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the public by telephone and in-person with calls for service, information, and reports.
- Perform work necessary to operate the telecommunications office on an assigned shift, and perform related
- work as required.
- Utilize and operate computers used in police operations, including computer entry, computer processing and
- extraction of computer information.
- Provide patrol, criminal investigation division, and police administration with computer-generated reports on various statistics and demographic information related to police work.
- Receive emergency requests, reports, complaints, and information by telephone, radio, and direct public contact and relays to appropriate personnel.
- Responsible for determining priority of call requiring an officer, fire or EMS and appropriate assignment of same, and also to determine the number of officers/units needed to respond.
- Process documentation for release of arrestees, and conduct cash transactions; perform personal searches of arrestees as needed.
- Enter all reports, offenses, incidents, arrest reports, and support data into the various computer systems utilized by the police department on a daily basis in addition to regular dispatch duties.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge of computers and data entry.
- Good public relations skills. Working knowledge of police operations.
- Ability to remain calm under stressful conditions.
- Be able to work in confined space and remain seated for long periods of time.
- Bi-lingual preferred, but not necessary.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATION:
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Telecommunications Operator Certificate/License from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) or ability to obtain certification within one year of employment.
- One year, full-time, paid experience in public safety dispatching preferred; experience with telecommunications, typing and computer equipment is desired.
- Internal candidates must not be on probation or disciplinary probation at the time of application, nor have any formal disciplinary actions on file during the last year preceding application.
- External candidates must also successfully pass a comprehensive background check, psychological exam, polygraph test, and drug screen.
City of CrowleyWhy Work Here?
Awesome Benefits - Great Retirement Plan- Come work in our Friendly small town
GovernmentView all jobs at City of Crowley