Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator
- Expired: March 02, 2023. Applications are no longer accepted.
The City of Clayton Finance Department is now accepting applications for the position of Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator. This position performs and supervises all payroll and accounts payable functions, including maintaining related records, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for City management and external purposes. This position reports to the Director of Finance and supervises the Fiscal Specialist - Accounts Payable & Payroll position. See the job description for further position details.
The City of Clayton is proud to provide world class service levels to a community which values the contributions of the professional team. Comprised of approximately 185 full-time and over 200 part-time and seasonal employees, the average full-time employee tenure is over ten years!
Employee Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive starting salary range: $65,011 (minimum) - $76,949 (midpoint) DOQ. The full range for the position is currently $65,011 - $89,801.
- Generous paid leave, including vacation, sick, personal time, holidays, community service, parental, military and pandemic leave. During the first year of service, leave accruals are prorated based on the date of hire.
- Comprehensive insurance package including health, dental, vision, group term life insurance, City-paid AD&D, flexible spending account and dependent care assistance plan, deductible reimbursement, long-term disability, and additional voluntary AD&D and life insurance options for employee, spouse and dependents.
- Retirement plans including City pension and several deferred compensation plans.
- Tuition reimbursement program for employees, Missouri MOST 529 program to help save for education expenses, and the City is a qualifying public service employer for the federal government's Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) program.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for confidential counseling and coaching services
- Platinum family membership to The Center of Clayton and Shaw Park Pool. Employee reciprocal memberships available for The Pointe in Ballwin and THE HEIGHTS in Richmond Heights.
- Transportation benefit available for employees to receive a 25% subsidy for the purchase of Metro passes, which are paid for on a pre-tax basis through payroll deduction.
- Voluntary identity theft protection available from Lifelock.
- for further details on the City's benefit package.
Key duties and responsibilities of the Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator:
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing, timekeeping, and accounting systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Oversees the accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Performs complex system functions and troubleshooting of the HR/payroll system including set-up and maintenance of organizational and employee HR/payroll data and reporting. Coordinates closely with Finance, HR and IT regarding system changes and troubleshooting.
- Oversees the processing of accounts payable invoices for payment, ensuring appropriate supporting documentation is presented with payment requests. Matches invoices and purchase orders and verifies department authorization and/or confirmation of receipt for appropriate payment action. Produces the necessary reports for proper accountability of payments.
- Maintains accurate accounts payable records and investigates any discrepancies between vendors and City records.
- Oversees preparation and reporting of tax forms 1099-NEC, 1099-MISC, etc.
- Leads all operations of payable and accounts payable, including direct supervision of staff.
- Maintains documentation and files associated with work in-progress and completed.
- Assists the Finance department in developing and maintaining detailed documentation of all processes, policies and procedures for the City.
- Please review the job description for further position details.
Required Qualifications for the Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or closely related field required.
- Minimum of three (3) years of payroll and accounts payable experience.
Preferred Qualifications for the Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator:
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) designation.
- Prior work experience in a team lead or supervisor capacity.
- Prior work experience in governmental accounting and/or audit experience.
- Experience with New World ERP payroll and/or financial systems.
- Demonstrated analytical and accounting skills with attention to details.
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks to meet deadlines with varying degrees of pressure, exercise judgment, and take corrective action; requires strong organization and follow-up skills.
- A self-motivated individual driven by challenge with the ability to work independently with a high degree of reliability, accuracy, and productivity.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision-making capabilities; ability to properly assess pertinent data and develop a framework for effective and practical solutions to complex issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; a service-oriented communicator and true team player; ability to develop strong working relationships.
- Knowledge of internal controls; ability to streamline/automate transaction processing and recording.
Application & Pre-Employment Information
Applications for the Lead Payroll & Accounts Payable Administrator position are accepted until an adequate pool of applicants have applied. First review of applicants will take place on March 20, 2023, and as needed afterward. This posting is subject to close at any time, so applicants are highly encouraged to apply early.
Successful candidates for the position will be required to successfully complete additional screening including, but not limited to the following: Background investigation, employment, education, reference and credit checks, driver license check, pre-employment physical and drug screening.
Please contact Human Resources at or 314-290-8448 with any questions about the hiring process.
The City of Clayton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals, employment decisions made at the City of Clayton will be based on merit, qualifications and abilities. It is the policy of the City of Clayton not to discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion or creed, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, veteran status, or other legally protected statuses. The City of Clayton will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. The City of Clayton encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with Human Resources.
This policy extends to all stages of the employment process, including but not limited to: recruiting or advertising for employment; evaluating the skills, education and experience of applicants; establishing rates of pay and terms, conditions and privileges of employment (including training opportunities); and promoting, upgrading, demoting, transferring, laying off and terminating employees.
Any employees with questions or concerns about any type of discrimination in the workplace are encouraged to bring these issues to the attention of their immediate supervisor, Human Resources, or the City Manager. Employees can raise concerns and make reports without fear of retaliation. Anyone found to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
City of Clayton
10 N Bemiston AveSaint Louis, MO
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at City of Clayton
Get fresh Lead Payroll Administrator jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.