Under the direct supervision of the Community Development Director, performs technical work in the preparation of the City's GIS system to include coverages, shape files, and other related forms of data and databases using geographic information systems (GIS) programs, equipment and peripheral devices.
- Provide geographic information collaboration services for various City departments.
- Create, edit, manage, analyze, report, display, and publish cartographic quality geospatial solutions and geographic data using spatial analysis procedures or GIS technology, equipment, or systems.
- Collect, compile, import, export, convert, and integrate geospatial data, including from vector or raster-based data sources, such as orthophotos, LIDAR, CAD, etc., for inclusion in geospatial solutions.
- Perform quality control on GIS data use topology rules, data reviewing workflows, templates, domains, and attribute assistant rules.
- Perform field data collection using Global Positioning System (GPS) and mobile computing technology.
- Provide GIS software support for users of desktop, web, and mobile GIS products.Recommend appropriate tools and applications to assist users and enhance workflows.
- Perform GIS geodatabase queries, calculations, geocoding, geoprocessing, and other spatial and attribute analysis techniques.
- Provide basic GIS technical and project support to other business systems.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of a web-based and network-based GIS system.
- Interpret, integrate, and evaluate engineering plans, legal descriptions, zoning, land use, administrative areas, floodplain, orthophoto, blueprints, scanned data, digital data, and other raster and vector data formats and information.
- Assist in GIS data sharing policies for the City, County, and Brookings Municipal Utilities.
- Responsible for maintaining the City's electronic mapping system, including ongoing updates, as well as the creation of new mapping and GIS related projects.
- Assist with office administrative tasks such as answering telephone.
- Stays current with software innovations and updates.
- Performs duties in a manner consistent with safe practices and policies.
- Perform other such duties as assigned and/or deemed necessary.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in geography, geographic information systems (GIS), or a closely related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience in working with GIS software.Master's degree in GIS will substitute for one (1) year of GIS experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and training in the procedures and standards used in the production of a geographic information system (GIS) including extensive experience with ESRI software products, cloud products , and GIS web publishing software.
- Knowledge of GPS devices, mobile data capture, and the processing of captured data.
- Knowledge and experience of editing, mapping, and publishing techniques using ESRI software products.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills in person, over the phone and in writing.
- Ability to use computers, calculators, plotters, and GPS equipment.
- Ability to operate motor vehicle and travel to project sites or other work related activities.
- Considerable ability to work alone and establish and maintain effective working relationships with others including the public, co-workers, and partnering entities.
- Must have the ability to be tactful and handle questions or concerns appropriately.
- Must be safety conscious.
- Considerable ability to effectively, in English, communicate complex technical information, orally and in writing, to co-workers, contractors, developers, property owners, partnering entities, and the general public.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, governmental regulations, ordinances, codes, construction plans and specifications, and survey plats.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, specifications and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, department heads, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts, geometry, and calculate figures and amounts such as interest, proportions, percentages, area, circumference and volume.
- Ability to assess site specific conditions and apply requirements of codes, ordinances and standards to those conditions.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Examination, Testing, and Certification
- Valid South Dakota Driver's License with acceptable driving record.
- Competence in written and/or oral interviews.
- Other such examination as deemed appropriate and necessary by the City of Brookings.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee frequently is required to walk, stand and sit; use hands and fingers to handle or feel; reach with hands or arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse and other devices and objects.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.