Seasonal Maintenance Worker
The City of Black Hawk Black Hawk, CO
- Expired: April 08, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
City of BLACK HAWK
2021 Job Description
JOB TITLE: Seasonal Maintenance Worker DEPARTMENT: Public Works
REPORTS TO: Street Superintendent EXEMPT: No
SALARY RANGE: $15.00 - $15.00 / HR
This is a Temporary Part-time position 24 hours a week from June to October 2021, No Benefits.
This is an unskilled or semi-skilled position involving horticulture work with specific responsibility for the care and maintenance of flowers, tree's, shrub beds and banners at City properties and street light poles. Main emphasis will be on maintenance of annual floral displays, along with other landscape maintenance duties. May be assigned to work in other areas if needed. Position reports to Street Superintendent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Maintains all flowers and shrubs at City's properties.
- Performs work associated with established watering, fertilizer and rotation schedules of summer flower baskets and pots.
- Treatment of diseased or infested plants.
- Assists in annual programs for winterization of all annual beds.
- Assists in the maintenance of outdoor flower displays, from seed germination and planting, to mature plant care.
- Assists in upkeep of the cities bronze statues.
- Assists in maintaining the cleanliness of city parks, streets, creek and sidewalks.
- Ability to perform a variety of semi-skilled maintenance tasks in a variety of conditions.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written assignments.
- Ability to safely operate pick-ups, ATV and UTV equipment
- Ability to safely operate backpack blowers, trimmers and other misc. power equipment
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in planting annual flowerbed arrangements.
- Assists in installation, taking down, emptying and storing of seasonal flowers pots and baskets.
- Assists in the cities weed mitigation program as needed.
- Assists in the maintenance of seasonal banners.
- Weeding of city park flower beds.
- Trash maintenance where needed.
- Performs other landscape related work as required by the Street Superintendent.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of outdoor gardening techniques.
- Ability to effectively deal with the public and other City employees.
- Understands and follows safety rules and procedures.
EQUIPMENT DIRECTLY USED
Operates light equipment such as an ATV, utility vehicles, rototillers, , wheelbarrows, horticulture hand tools, pruners, water equipment, mowers, trimmer, backpack blower, edger's, and other equipment as necessary. Required to operate City vehicles.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES
Frequent exposure to all weather conditions, with work activities occurring both inside and outside. Frequent exposure to noise levels that may cause distractions. Frequently working around areas of vehicle traffic. This position includes bending, balancing, crouching, stooping, lifting, reaching, standing, walking, climbing ladders, and sitting due to the physical nature of planting flower beds and shrubs. Occasional lifting of up to 60 pounds. Occasional exposure to pesticides and fertilizers; protective equipment is provided in handling pesticides and plant related materials.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND FORMAL TRAINING
Must be at least 18 years of age, high school graduate, or possession of a GED. Experience in greenhouse, landscape maintenance, or any combination of education, training and experience preferred.
OTHER NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
Must possess a valid Class R, Colorado Driver's license, provide proof of a safe driving record, and maintain a safe driving record for continued employment. Successful candidates will be required to complete a pre-placement physical and a substance screen prior to employment. Background investigations may be done prior to employment.
The intent of this classification is to describe the types of job tasks and levels of responsibility and difficulty required of persons assigned to this classification title. This is not to be considered a detailed description of every duty/responsibility of the job.
The City of Black Hawk is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Pursuant to the Immigrations Reform and Control Act, it is the City's intention to hire only individuals who are United States citizens or aliens authorized to work and live in the United States.
The City of Black Hawk
AddressBlack Hawk, CO
Real EstateView all jobs at The City of Black Hawk