It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they are doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
The Medical Receptionist is an integral member of the multi-disciplinary team who functions under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse and/or licensed physician. The position provides professional, courteous, and friendly assistance to our customers. The Medical Receptionist serves as a resource for internal and external customers by utilizing a number of resources such as established Cigna policies; protocols and guidelines to ensure delivery of quality care within the guidelines of Cigna Medical Group Standard Operating Procedures, Policies, and Procedures. Contributes to the organization's drive to achieve "Triple Aim": improved individual customer experience, improved health and quality of care, and reduced cost of care.
- Place the patient first in all you do to make each patient interaction a positive experience.
- Provide each patient with an exceptional customer experience by greeting them with a warm welcome and smile as they enter the healthcare setting. Maintain eye contact.
- Introduce yourself and role to the patient/customer with whom you are interacting.
- Maintain a professional appearance of self and the workplace at all times.
- Communicate with patients promptly and efficiently using words the patient understands; keep the patient informed of delays in service and/or clinician wait times.
- Take ownership and accountability for responding to patient questions, concerns, or complaints. Consistently seek assistance to help the patient if you are unable to resolve on your own.
- Provides immediate service recovery and work to exceed patient/customer expectations surrounding resolution of concerns.
- Anticipate patient's stated and unstated needs. Talk with them in depth so you understand what the patient truly needs. Provides explanations and support to meet those needs.
- Consistently keep personal conversations private and out of the work environment.
- Patient information is consistently maintained in a private and secure manner, complying with HIPAA Guidelines at all times.
- Consistently thanks the patient for allowing Cigna Medical Group to provide their healthcare and ask if there is anything else we can do for them during their visit.
- Using the courtesy behaviors, greet and check in patients at the health care centers. Verify coverage and eligibility, and complete appropriate paperwork. Requests co-payment from patient in a polite manner. If patient expresses disagreement with co-payment request, lets patient know you will follow-up and proceed with check-in process.
- Answer telephone in compliance with departmental procedures and quality metrics. Ascertains nature of call and routes appropriately and ensures the call is responded to promptly. To consistently maintain quality of patient care, obtains detailed information in messages and documents in the E.H.R.
- Schedules appointments accurately and politely verifies benefit coverage. Meets patients needs by asking questions to determine the best scheduling solution. If necessary, speaks with clinician to ensure timely access.
- Reconciliation of cash transactions at the end of each shift, including processing and batching of charge tickets and preparation of bank deposits.
- Maintain necessary supplies for Medical Receptionist activities, banking supplies, etc in a fiscally responsible manner.
- Performs technical duties according to departmental standards, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrates a positive customer service approach in all internal and external customer experiences.
- Improves the customer experience through the demonstration of Service and Courtesy Behaviors and focus on Patient Satisfaction.
- NOTE: The above is not intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be and exhaustive statement of duties. Specific tasks or responsibilities will be documented as outlined by the incumbent's immediate supervisor.
Under minimal supervision, coordinates appointments, handles multiple phone calls, charge enter exams, and reschedule/confirm appointments. May handle cash, coordinate, schedule and follow up on phases of a surgery procedure and/or specialty referral appointments. Provides exceptional customer service and maintains patient confidentiality. The Medical Receptionist demonstrates skill in use of computers, possesses strong verbal and written communication skills, and behavior is professional at all times.
Interacts with all levels of staff in a variety of departments; physicians, patients, families as well as external contacts, such as employees of other healthcare institutions community providers and agencies concerning the healthcare of the patient. Interacts with other healthcare providers in numerous settings in order to report and ask for or clarify information.
Incumbents work in a fast paced, sometimes stressful environment with a strong focus on customer service.
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Able to stand, walk, bend, squat, reach, and stretch frequently.
- Requires fine motor skills, adequate eye hand coordination, and ability to grasp and handle objects.
- May be required to lift 75 pounds.
- Must use standard precautions due to threat of exposure to blood and body fluids.
- Needs to communicate effectively through reading, writing, and speaking in person or on telephone.
- Use of computers will be required.
- Medical terminology preferred.
- One year customer service and PC skills required.
- One year customer service in health care, cash handling, typing, scheduling application experience preferred.
- Ability to convey information to customers in a warm, clear, concise manner.
- Demonstrates positive customer service behaviors.
If you require an accommodation based on your physical or mental disability please email: SeeYourself@cigna.com. Do not email SeeYourself@cigna.com for an update on your application or to provide your resume as you will not receive a response.
We're a global health service company dedicated to helping people improve their health, well-being and sense of security. We offer an integrated suite of health services, such as medical, dental, behavioral health, pharmacy, vision, supplemental benefits, and other related products that serve over 95 million customers around the world. When you work with us, you'll enjoy a different kind of career - you'll make a difference, learn a ton, and change the way people think about health insurance. To see our culture in action, search #TeamCigna on Twitter or Instagram.