Shelter Advocate - 3p-11p Part-time evenings and every other weekend
- Posted: over a month ago
Churches United is seeking a Shelter Advocate at one of our shelters located in Moorhead, MN. The primary responsibility of this position is to create an environment where individuals experiencing homelessness can be safe. By creating trust this position encourages and supports the homeless individual in connecting with other services at Churches United and in the community to secure permanent housing.
As an employee of Churches United, our staff enjoy the emotional benefits of working at a nonprofit facility and are committed to paying our staff well, many times at a level of compensation that is above a typical social service agency. Join Churches United and continue your career with an organization that provides the opportunity to grow.
Just as Churches United is dedicated to improving the lives of our guests and our community, we are equally dedicated to your professional and personal success. With a wide range of perks that includes comprehensive compensation and benefits, support, and ongoing professional development, you will find that an opportunity with Churches United is one worth taking.
ABOUT US: Churches United is one of the largest and most effective providers of shelter and connection to the supportive services in the Fargo Moorhead area. As a results-driven organization, since 1987, our mission has been to provide shelter, interim housing and supportive services that create opportunities for homeless families and individuals to rapidly return to stable housing and long-term self-sufficiency. Our successful service model combines a safe clean shelter, with intensive supportive services that promote dignity and motivate our guests to achieve autonomy. Churches United operates over 5 sites in the FM Area one site which provides shelter to single men, women, families and veterans under one roof.
CULTURE: Churches United staff are dedicated to serving our community. Diverse in background, outlook and life experience, our team addresses important social issues with passion and creativity. A culture of collaboration and innovation provides a thriving and successful environment for all. We foster personal growth through ongoing investment in the professional development of our staff. Together, we are committed to breaking the cycle of homelessness and helping our guests achieve long-term self-sufficiency.
There is no single cause of family or youth homelessness, and no single way that interpersonal violence affects people. While most of our guests are impacted by different traumas, Churches United services are available to all who are impacted by hardships to ensure people have the right help to move forward. Knowing that the traumas of these life experiences often impact many aspects of family functioning, our services reach broadly and comprehensively to best support men, women, and children as they build on their unique strengths to create a brighter future.
The Shelter Advocate (SA) will provide essential coverage and supervision of the shelter. This position is responsible for the welfare, safety, and comfort, as well as daily support to the shelter guests. The SA will provide crisis intervention to callers seeking shelter, advice, or referrals. All Churches United employees are expected to demonstrate the organizational values and sensitivity to the diversity of the organization’s guest base.
Essential Job Duties:
Work in partnership to:
- Ensure a comprehensive initial screening process to determine guest eligibility for program services, providing assessments, intakes, and enrollment where appropriate.
- Ensure the safety and security of guests, volunteers, visitors, and staff by communicating guest expectations and conducting internal and external perimeter checks during shift.
- Conduct room and personal property inspections during shift.
- Follow agency and shelter protocols for reporting incidents.
- Conduct new guest orientation to ensure understanding of guest expectations, policies and procedures.
- Understand and effectively respond to guest needs.
- Participate in regular supervision with Shelter Coordinator by providing regular updates.
- Maintain guest files and manage data in accordance with program requirements and NVFS guidelines.
- Maintain current level of knowledge on program software and other information on shelter programs.
- Work collaboratively with volunteers, contractors, and donors.
- Assist guests and cleaning staff maintain cleanliness and good upkeep of shelter and grounds; this includes sweeping, mopping and cleaning the shelter and grounds in the absence of professional cleaning services as needed.
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who:
- Is dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Has the ability to encourage and adhere to the rights and responsibilities of guests in a behavior-based, low barrier environment
- Is people-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Is detail-oriented -- would rather focus on the details of work than the bigger picture
- Is autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
- Is innovative -- prefers working in unconventional ways or on tasks that require creativity
- Has a high stress tolerance -- thrives in a high-pressure environment
- Has the ability to be calming and helpful in difficult situations
- Has the ability to provide support and supervision to volunteers
- Has basic literacy and computer skills, word processing and internet navigation
- Has a strong analysis of how race, ethnicity, culture, language, region, poverty, sexual and gender identity, age, education, opportunities, and resources generationally made available or not, and systemic oppressions impact a person’s mental health.
- Can manage and support with qualities of inclusivity, collaboration, continuity, and care out front in your daily interactions and overall leadership style.
Starting Salary: $17.00 per hour
Position: Part Time 20-30 hours per week scheduled evenings and every other weekend
Churches United is looking for a qualified candidate who is mission driven, professional and dedicated to being a part of the solution to homelessness!
Powered by JazzHR
Churches United for the Homeless
GovernmentView all jobs at Churches United for the Homeless