Adventure Specialist - Eureka, MT - Sign on Bonus / Relocation
Chrysalis Boarding School Coeur d'Alene, ID
- Posted: 22 days ago
- Benefits: dental, medical
Job Title: Adventure Specialist
Supervisor's Title: Executive Director
Wage: Depending Upon Experience
Location: Eureka, Montana
CHRYSALIS OVERVIEW: http://www.chrysalisschoolmontana.com/
Chrysalis is a small therapeutic boarding school for adolescent girls aged 13 to 18 located in northwestern Montana. Chrysalis uses a combination of therapy, individualized academics, family style living and adventure based activities to help girls who have struggled academically, socially and at home. Each Chrysalis student participates in an international service trip to better appreciate diversity while positively affecting the lives of others, and ultimately, changing her own life forever.
This is a full time position. Shifts include days, evenings, weekends and some overnights. The Adventure Specialist role at Chrysalis is multifaceted, required unusual flexibility, and a specialized skill set in the area of outdoor recreation and education.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Adventure planning, preparation and programming for all students.
- Secure supervision of students during adventure outings.
- Thoughtful risk management in all adventure programming.
- Careful adherence to all state and federal laws that apply to adventure programming with adolescents at Chrysalis, including speed limits during transport of students.
- Vigilant awareness of industry standards in the area of adventure programming, followed by every reasonable effort to meet those standards.
- Thoughtful processing of every adventure outing with students to maximize what students learn within the experience (i.e., ensure that students attain optimal gains in terms of self esteem, confidence, self awareness, and insight).
- Outdoor education for all students, including "low impact" camping techniques, outdoor ethics, co-existence with minimal disturbance of indigenous animal species, concepts of outdoor service work, and instruction in a variety of enjoyable and healthy outdoor activities.
- Careful organization, inventory and maintenance of all adventure equipment, including: rock climbing gear, rafting gear, biking gear, camping gear, boating gear, horse tack, gear racks, and any other adventure accessories.
- Appropriate collaboration and coordination with other professional teams at Chrysalis (i.e., clinical team, academic team, general program staff, and business office staff).
- Professional services for students delivered in the context of healthy boundaries (both physical and emotional) and positive relationships.
- Timely documentation in reports and BestNotes.
- Careful adherence to all Chrysalis policy and procedure.
- Support of the Chrysalis mission statement, and by extension, the general program structure, rules and limits.
- Personal life choices that are healthy, which enable a positive role model relationship for students.
- Other duties as assigned, including but not limited to: general campus maintenance, building maintenance, vehicle maintenance, landscaping, cooking, supervision of chores, transportation of students, gardening, fencing, bicycle maintenance, garbage disposal, mowing, small building projects, procuring hay for horses, etc. (some of which might require the supervision of the Facilities Manager).
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Recreation-related skills, training and interests.
- Ability to remain in control during crisis situations, and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Attention to detail.
- Able to work cooperatively with others.
- Effective communication skills.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education in Adventure or Outdoor Education or combination of education and related experience in youth services equal to a minimum of two years.
Chrysalis is an equal employment opportunity employer
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Chrysalis Boarding SchoolWhy Work Here?
This is more than just a job for staff; it is our passion.
We offer a warm and supportive environment that fosters individualism, self-confidence and a sense of belonging. Our beautiful campus is located in northwest Montana, just five miles from the British Columbia border. We’ve chosen to make our home here because of the beautiful and remote setting which shows our students the benefits of unplugging from the stressors of an urban environment. The tranquility of living on a lake in the midst of the Rockies can be a peaceful reminder to students that there is more to life than smartphones! Chrysalis is home to adolescent girls ages 13 to 18 whose typical length of stay is 12-18 months, but this can be individualized for each resident’s needs. Students live family style in one of three homes, where they are encouraged to build on personal strengths while they examine and challenge old patterns that have prevented growth.