General Descriptions of Responsibilities:
Assembles, installs and repairs pipes, fittings and fixtures of heating, water, and drainage systems, according to specifications and plumbing codes. Service, maintain, install, and test water, natural gas, sewer distribution mains including fire hydrants and wet, dry, deluge, backflow prevention, and pre-action fire suppression systems.
- Study building plans and working drawings to determine work aids required and sequence of installations.
- Inspects structure to ascertain obstructions to be avoided to prevent weakening of structure resulting from installation of pipe.
- Locate and mark position of pipes and pipe connections and passage holes for pipes in walls and floors, using ruler, spirit level and plumb bob.
- Cuts openings in walls and floors to accommodate pipe and pipe fittings, using hand tools and power tools.
- Cuts and threads pipes, using pipe cutters, cutting torch, and pipe-threading machine.
- Bends pipe to required angle by use of pipe-bending machine or by placing pipe over block over block and bending it by hand.
- Assemble and install valves, pipe fittings, and pipes composed of metals, such as iron, steel, brass and lead, and nonmetals, such as glass, vitrified clay, and plastic, using hand tolls and power tools.
- Join pipe by use of screws, bolts, fittings, solder, plastic solvent, and calk joints.
- Fills pipe system with water or air and reads pressure gauges to determine whether system is leaking.
- Install and repair plumbing fixtures, such as sinks, commodes, bathtubs, water heaters, hot water tanks, garbage disposal units, dishwashers, and water softeners.
- Repair and maintain plumbing by replacing washers in leaky faucets, mending burst pipes, and opening clogged drains.
- Locate, identify, and mark water, sewer, and natural gas systems to prevent damage during construction.
- Repair or replace damaged and worn distribution system pipes, valves, and fittings.
- Weld holding fixtures to steel structural members.
- Reads utility meters and submit report to proper agency.
- Use portable radios to communicate with supervisors, and service call desk.
- Determines materials needed for repair work and prepares requisition.
- Responsible for timely reporting of accidents, injuries, and hazardous situations.
- Perform all other work-related duties as assigned.
- Timely completion and accuracy of all work.
- Working closely and harmoniously with other employees.
- Adherence to contract requirements, safety and health regulations, and company policies
Work may be performed both indoors and outdoors. Outdoor work is subject to extreme temperatures, noise, and inclement weather conditions and other conditions determined by the nature of the job. Tasks may be performed on uneven, inclined, hard, and cement structures and surfaces.
Job Requirements Mandatory:
- Class C Texas driver’s license.
- Journeyman plumbers certificate from the state of Texas.
- Knowledge of hand and power tools.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well in a team environment.
- Ability to understand and have working knowledge of hazardous, safety, and environmental warnings.
- General knowledge of all maintenance and construction trades.
- Must be able to climb ladders scaffolds and walkways; be able to complete assigned tasks in high or confined spaces.
Job Requirements, Preferred:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- High school graduate or equivalent.
- Welding and brazing experience.
- Master Plumbers license from the state of Texas.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.