- Posted: over a month ago
ORGANIZATIONAL OVERVIEW: At Chimp Haven we believe we’re not that different, humans and chimpanzees. Chimps have personalities, emotions and relationships, just like us, and we’re on a mission to connect them to the happy healthy lives they deserve. That’s why we’re providing and promoting personalized care for chimpanzees (most of whom were retired from biomedical research) by helping them, for their remaining years, live a good life – the chimp life. Chimp Haven serves as The National Chimpanzee Sanctuary and is located on 200 forested acres in northwest Louisiana just outside of Shreveport. Chimp Haven provides excellent care for more than 200 chimpanzees retired from research or no longer used in the entertainment industry or as pets. As more retired chimpanzees make their way from research institutions to sanctuary, our population continues to grow. Chimp Haven has a well-designed facility to support the physical and emotional well-being of all animals, experienced staff and high standards for operational excellence. Chimp Haven offers a competitive salary, excellent benefits, extensive training and an opportunity for professional advancement. Equal Opportunity Employer. Chimp Haven is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability or any other protected class. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions. Primary FunctionProvide care for the chimpanzees and their housing areas and improve well-being and prevent disease by close observation of chimpanzee behavior and careful cleaning procedures. Most duties performed under general supervision. Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare and provide food to the chimpanzees
- Clean and sanitize chimpanzee housing areas, equipment, and other related areas or materials. May use cleaning equipment.
- Remove and replace bedding.
- Observe chimpanzee behavior and appearance. Report unusual behavior or injuries.
- Transport food, bedding, or supplies from storage areas to animal areas.
- Maintain records of health, behavior, cleaning, etc.
- Provide enrichment and training to chimpanzees as directed.
- May administer medications and treatment under supervision.
- May maintain stock of feed, bedding, and cleaning supplies.
- May assist in planning and implementing special projects, including educational programs.
- May assist behavioral or veterinary staff as directed.
- Assist in training new animal care staff.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Works under general supervision of Colony Director, Supervisor, or senior animal care staff.
- Does not normally supervise anyone, but may serve as group leader.
- Assists with training new employees.
- Knowledgeable about variety of field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Relies on pre-established guidelines and experience to plan and accomplish goals.
- Exercises judgment to make recommendations for improvement.
- High School diploma or GED required.
- Must be able to read and follow written and verbal instructions and write legibly and accurately.
- No prior animal experience required, but must have aptitude for the care and well-being of animals.
- This work will require bending, carrying, kneeling, lifting, listening, pulling, pushing, reading, speaking, squatting, standing, stooping, stretching, walking, watching, and writing.
- Must be able to routinely lift and carry 50lbs for short distances.
- Must be able to assist in lifting chimpanzees (up to 75lbs).
- Duties may require driving Chimp Haven vehicles, and must have a valid driver’s license and meet Chimp Haven’s motor vehicle operating standards.
- Work may involve considerable outdoor work in various weather conditions.
- Potential exists for animal bites and scratches.
- Potential exposure to unpleasant odors, animal wastes, animal tissues and body fluids, toxic chemicals, zoonotic diseases (tuberculosis, shigella, etc.) infectious agents (Hepatitis B, C, HIV, etc.)
- Weekend, holiday, and night work may be necessary.
- Participation in a medical monitoring and surveillance program that includes hepatitis B and other inoculations is required.
- Safety training, equipment, clothing, and supplies will be provided
AnimalView all jobs at Chimp Haven