Life Skills Coach-Day Program 8a-4p
Chimes Fairfax, VA
- Posted: over a month ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, medical, vision,
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF POSITION: The Life Skills Coach acts as a teacher to a group of adults diagnosed, including but not limited to, Autism, Down syndrome, and intellectual disabilities. Under the supervision of the Day Program Coordinator, you are responsible for fostering growth in the individuals supported. This includes integrating them into the community by transporting them to volunteer work sites to practice career skills, to engage them with others to further their life/social skills, and accompanying on leisure/ recreational activities. The Life Skills Coach will interact with the individuals at the day program, and build relationships with them in order to see them grow into positive and active members of the community. Staff must be able to accurately complete documentations, including task analysis and daily progress notes on your assigned individuals that reflect their development within the program.
PRIMARY JOB FUNCTION(S):
- Supervise individuals served at all times, including during lunch and breaks.
- Assists individuals in job readiness preparation, as able.
- Completes Task Analysis and Daily Progress notes for all Individuals served.
- Assists in transporting individuals from the program to work sites.
- Maintains accurate and current records and programmatic documentation.
- Maintains positive public relations, and encourages community integration.
- Submits monthly documentation on time.
- Attends and participates in in-service training, staff meetings and other activities to facilitate professional development.
- Uses crisis intervention techniques in emergency situations when people served are in danger of injuring themselves or others.
- Take necessary action in emergency situations in accordance with Agency policies and procedures, and to accurately report these to the proper personnel.
- Attends work regularly according to assigned work schedules and in accordance with Agency policy.
- Works cooperatively with others, including all staff, supervisors, co-workers, administrators, people served, community professionals, customers, vendors, and the general public.
- Assumes other duties, responsibilities and projects as needed.
- Follows instructions and abides by Agency policies and procedures.
- Is a positive role model for individuals served and Agency staff.
- May assist in documentation progress related to the individuals served program plans as needed.
- May investigate opportunities.
- May accompany individuals on interviews.
- May be required to work with group setting as assigned.
- Works cooperatively and effectively with Agency volunteers maximizing the volunteers= experience while meeting the needs of individuals served and the programs.
- Ability to communicate on the telephone
- Valid driver’s license from place of residence and ability to drive
- Ability to write
- Ability to complete tasks with numerous interruptions
- Ability to stand
- Ability to work with little direct supervision
- Ability to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to sit for long periods of time
- Ability to go up and down stairs
- Ability to manipulate numbers
- Ability to speak
- Ability to type
- Ability to read
- Ability to operate machinery without posing a safety hazard to self or others
- Ability to hear
- Ability to understand technical written material
- Compassion and respect for persons with developmental disabilities and the ability to earn their confidence
- Ability to lift more than 50 lbs.
- Ability to use a computer
- Valid certifications in CPR/First Aid
- Full range of motion above the head
- Ability to bend, lift and carry
- Full awareness of environmental stimuli
EDUCATION: Associate of Arts degree in special education or a related filed, with emphasis in the areas of education, psychology, social science or a related field. Or three years’ experience working in creating community involvement and volunteer opportunities with persons with developmental disabilities and/or related disabilities.
EXPERIENCE: Must have an acceptable driving record as determined by criteria established by the Agency=s insurance carrier and by Agency policy.
- Effective communication skills, both oral and written.
- Effective decision-making and problem solving skills.
- Must be organized, flexible and dedicated to quality service delivery.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with others.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks effectively.
- Proficient in technology applications.
- Allocates staff resources to maximize productivity.
- Knowledge of quality enhancement principles, systems and assessment tools.
- Ability to adapt quality assurance systems and assessment tools to regulatory standards and Agency policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical standards in job performance.
- Knowledge of regulatory standards.
SKILLS TEST: Commonwealth of Virginia Intellectual Disability Waiver and Reading Comprehension.
NOTE: At the discretion of the Personnel Officer, additional related experience and/or education may be substituted in lieu of the requirements specified above under AEducation@ and AExperience.@
Our not-for-profit organizations provide an array of educational, employment, vocational, residential, habilitative and behavioral health services and supports. Acknowledged as leaders in the industry, we are best known for the quality of our services and the integrity of our staff.
ChimesWhy Work Here?
Full Benefit Package available at 30 hours per week; Competitive Salary
The Chimes Family of Services began in 1947 as a small school in Baltimore, Maryland for children with intellectual developmental disabilities. Through planned growth over the years, we currently have services in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, North Carolina and Israel. Our not-for-profit organizations provide an array of educational, employment, vocational, residential, habilitative and behavioral health services and supports. Acknowledged as leaders in the industry, we are best known for the quality of our services and the integrity of our staff.
EducationView all jobs at Chimes