Brand Manager – Chicken of the Sea
Location: El Segundo, CA
The brand “Chicken of the Sea” was established in 1930. Today, it is an iconic American brand with over $300M in retail sales. Chicken of the Sea enjoys broad US distribution across grocery, mass, drug, and club stores, with growth opportunities in foodservice and outside the US in the broader Americas.
Chicken of the Sea International (COSI) has been wholly owned since 2000 by Thai Union (TU), the largest global producer of ambient seafood. Chicken of the Sea Frozen Foods, is a sister US company that focuses on frozen and chilled seafood sales. Combined, the Chicken of the Sea company represents the largest seafood provider in the US. Other iconic seafood brands in the TU Global portfolio include John West, Mareblu and King Oscar. Under the leadership of CEO Thiraphong Chansiri, Thai Union has more than tripled its revenue to over $3.8 billion annually and has an aggressive growth agenda.
To fuel this growth, Thai Union recently made an unprecedented investment in a Global Innovation Incubator, where research and development efforts are driving new product creation as well as continuously improving the nutritional delivery and sensorial experience of TU’s seafood products. All brands in the global portfolio, therefore, have the advantage of Thai Union’s scale and seafood expertise in their respective markets relative to their competition. The Chicken of the Sea brand in the US is no exception.
Chicken of the Sea International operates under the common corporate vision, mission and values of Thai Union. The company has a vision to be the world’s most trusted seafood leader and a mission to be the seafood industry’s leading agent of change, making a real positive difference to consumers, customers and the way the category is managed. Thai Union is an industry leader in sustainable fishing practices and manufacturing processes that capture the freshness, nutritional value, and sensorial experience of seafood. The global organization lives by the 6 deeply held values: Passionate, Humble, Respectful, Responsible, Collaborative and Innovative.
COSI is an organization that is very proud of its heritage. First established as VanCamp seafood company more than 100 years ago (1914), the company celebrates its story as one of the oldest food companies in the country that is still in operation. The company is currently undergoing a significant business transformation aimed to accelerate business growth. For example, the company has completed a significant organizational renewal to strengthen the company leadership and its marketing team, hiring multiple senior executives with strong CPG experience in Best-in-Class companies. In addition, the 2 sister companies (Ambient & Frozen) just collocated to a new HQ located in El Segundo, California which will bring significant operational efficiencies (i.e. shared services model) while creating new commercial opportunities to expand our branded portfolio into more retail categories and channels.
Chicken of the Sea Brand Manager role
As Chicken of the Sea Brand Manager, you will be at the center for some of the biggest innovation ideas for our North American business and will play a key role in bringing them to life. You will turn product ideas into iconic products. You will effectively manage the business to deliver its annual financial goals. Your responsibilities will span across business delivery, idea & product development, packaging, sales enablement, all the way to manufacturing. You’ll lead cross-functional teams of colleagues from sales, operations, research & development, and quality. You’ll build and execute plans to deliver strong results and build a stronger present and future for the brand.
This is an exciting time for our North American business. Our brand is 88 years old, however, we are in a start-up mode. We are building a new brand team and agency roster with strong and diverse set of skills and experiences, high entrepreneurial spirit and the common dream of being part of the team who will transform how Americans eat seafood and build a successful path for the next century. Would you like to be part of this journey?
· Manage the day-to-day business and P&L, to meet volume and profit goals.
· Monitor all key initiatives as well as key trends (category, consumer, competitor, customer). Evaluate progress to ensure on-track vs. expectations and course correct where necessary.
· Evaluate the product portfolio, define the strategy and activate to increase its core equity, setting a foundation from which to grow.
· Develop and execute annual marketing plan and consumer communication initiatives.
· Partner with innovation team to develop and implement a robust and balanced pipeline.
· Identify business opportunities from analyzing market trends, competitor reviews, sales data and market research results.
· Translate brand strategies into brand plans and go-to-market strategies. Oversee marketing and sales activities to ensure consistency with brand strategy.
· Measure and report performance of all marketing efforts and assess against established goals.
· Coach direct report(s) and multifunctional team partner to get the best from everyone.
• Minimum 5 years relevant work experience in CPG brand/product management, preferably in food industry
• MBA Preferred
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Problem analysis and problem solving
• Formal presentation skills
• Strong organization and planning and project management skills.
• Persuasiveness: pro-activity and foresight to point out opportunities and risks to the business
• Ideally prior innovation/new product development experience, new product launches and/or major repositioning of a Brand
• Working knowledge of Nielsen or IRI software and syndicated data analysis.
• Proficient with Excel, Word and PowerPoint Microsoft applications
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
• Ability to deliver positive results in a team working environment with a diverse group of internal and external customers
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females,
Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.