English Language Arts/ English Language Development-Tucson, AZ
Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc Tucson, AZ
- Posted: over a month ago
To help students develop proficient reading and writing skills that will contribute to their academic growth.
Meet Arizona Highly Qualified requirements for charter school interventionist in one of the following areas:
English Language Arts/ English Language Development Academic Support Specialist minimum requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Complete one of the following by July 1, 2021:
15 college credit hours in reading to include each of the following:
- Phonemic awareness
- Phonemic segmentation
- Reading fluency
- Reading comprehension
- Reading practicum
Other desired skills and qualifications:
- Proficiency with ongoing data collection and management
- Proficiency with the use of excel and/or other spreadsheet programs
- Minimum 3 years experience working with students in a remediation setting
- Positive experience working with small groups of students for remediation
- Positive experience collaborating with classroom teachers
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES
The academic support specialist addresses the specific needs of a particular child when regular classroom instruction is not sufficient. They work with the teacher to design methods of learning that are most appropriate for each child.
- Consult frequently with classroom teachers on matters relating to reading/writing instruction using our progress-monitoring instrument as a base.
- Design interventions and write lesson plans detailing methods and materials.
- Assist in the evaluation of ongoing programs and make recommendations for change.
- Assist teachers and other administrators and/or supervisors in implementing the school reading program. (Read 180)
- Help teachers diagnose reading strengths and weaknesses and match these skills with appropriate techniques and materials.
- Keep the parents informed as to the purposes and progress of the reading program.
- Work with support staff and school administrators to facilitate the coordination of the reading program with the comprehensive curriculum.
- Consult with curriculum committees studying such topics as textbook selection, vocabulary development, concept development, supplementary materials, and study skills development.
- Promote interest in reading.
- Work with the classroom teacher and district personnel to coordinate reading instruction designed to meet students' individual needs.
- Work with the classroom teacher to monitor student progress.
- Teach remedial reading/writing and English language development as needed.
- Participate in ongoing PLC data analysis sessions.
- Perform other responsibilities as may, from time to time, be assigned by the supervisor.
- Familiar with the school’s RTI process, Tier’d Instruction, and implement with fidelity.
Requires vision and hearing and the ability to speak, write, print, and draw. Work in the job involves sitting and using computer peripherals for extended periods of time. Requires moving from one location to another. Other physical activity includes reaching, stooping, bending, holding, grasping and lifting heavy objects. Visual weakness must not prohibit the performing of assigned duties. Verbal communicative ability required.
Employee will be expected to participate in continuous learning, competency building, and maintenance of competency skills.
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
Indoor classroom environment and some outdoor activities away from the primary work environment. All-weather conditions/temperatures. Contact with the public, employees, children, and parents. May have exposure to noise.
Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc
EducationView all jobs at Chicanos Por La Causa, Inc