Job Title: Heavy Line Diesel Technician
Department: Service Department
Reports to: Service Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Direct Reports: None
Position Description: This position performs vehicle repair and maintenance as assigned in accordance with dealer and factory standards and builds Customer loyalty by developing trust and ensuring confidence in Martin Automotive Group as a care-giver for their vehicle safety and reliability.
Duties & Responsibilities: The primary duties consist of, but are not limited to the following.
- Performs work specified on the repair order with efficiency and in accordance with dealership and manufacturer guidelines.
- Test-drives vehicles, and test components and systems, using diagnostic tools and special service equipment follows service information.
- Performs routine maintenance, recommends services due and notifies service advisors of upcoming services due in near future.
- Diagnoses, maintain, and repair vehicle automotive systems including engine repair, engine replacements, oil leaks, coolant leaks, and diesel fuel system repairs.
- Executes repairs under warranty to manufacturer specifications.
- Manages punch times on warranty repair orders with accuracy.
- Understands how to complete a repair order by imputing the mileage out and specs on the repair order.
- Understands and follows dealership responsibilities for environmental and safety issues set by federal, state, and local regulations.
- Completes the cause and correction on in writing on the repair order. Properly documents repair order.
- Communicate directly with the Service Advisor so that customers are informed if any additional service is needed. Provides an estimate of time needed for additional repairs.
- Ability to diagnosis and repair customer concerns promptly and professionally.
- Attending to customer complaints, ensuring that a high level of customer satisfaction is obtained.
- Identifies when a vehicle requires a recall and gets recalls completed. Informs Service Advisor of time duration needed to complete recalls.
- Attends meetings and training sessions as scheduled.
- Remains knowledgeable of new products, features, accessories, processes, etc.
- Must have the ability to report for work on time, follow directions, interact effectively with co-workers, understand and follow rules and procedures and accept constructive criticism.
- Must use all company data bases and software according to company trained process and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Test drives vehicles after repairs are complete for final quality analysis of repair completion to eliminate comebacks.
- Stays current with General Motors online and hands on training
- Completes Multi-Point Vehicle Inspections MPVI
- Meets productivity and efficiency goals of 100% and higher when set by management.
- Follows established prospecting steps and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education & Experience:
- Education – High school diploma or the equivalent is required and a college degree is preferred with at least 3 - 5 years of equivalent/relevant work experience in a dealership service environment; previous experience as an Automotive Service Heavy Line Diesel Technician.
- Experience and knowledge of automotive service operations, knowledge of manufacturer programs.
- Must have ASE’s A1(Engine repair) training completion and certificate.
- Must have A6(Electrical/ Electronics) training completion and certificate.
- Must have A9 (light vehicle Diesel engines) training completion and certificate.
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills to communicate with Service Advisors and Warranty Administrator and customers.
- Must be able to work extended hours, evenings, holidays and weekends.
- Must demonstrate the ability to read, write and communicate the English language.
- Valid Driver’s License and proof of insurance are required.
- Must have a clean driving record and be able to pass an MVR and background check.
- 25-30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Must have the cognitive and mental capacity to perform essential job functions for entire duration of work shift.
Ability to communicate orally and/or in written form effectively with co-workers, and customers. Ability to read, analyze and interpret written and verbal instructions. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, including writing grammatically correct emails and text messages. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers, service advisors, warranty administrator and customers.
Ability to calculate flag hours in military time. Ability to calculate ETA (estimated time of arrival) of product and completion of repair by giving time frame in date and clock time format. Ability to measure temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Demonstrate the ability to anticipate and solve practical problems or resolve issues. Ability to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carryout instructions furnished in written or oral form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to work 5-6 days a week, 8 to 10 hours per day. The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on an unleveled surfaces for periodic periods throughout the day. Maybe required to climb stairs. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required to perform repairs throughout the workday. The employee must have excellent keyboarding skills. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, employee maybe exposed to fumes/odors of automotive shop related surroundings and other hazardous materials. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud. Primary environment: Various conditions including cold and heat, and indoor/outdoor settings including warehouse, service area, and outside of the building. Walking primarily on unleveled surfaces for periodic periods throughout the day. Including surfaces that may have automotive fluids and uneven terrain.
The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and levels of the work performed by employees, but are not a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, the job description does not constitute a written, or implied contract for employment. Martin Automotive Group/Glendora Chevrolet reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Martin Automotive Group/Glendora Chevrolet is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against otherwise qualified applicants on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, veteran status or on the basis of disability.
Approved By: ____________________________ Date: _____________________
Reviewed By: Employee & Manager:
Name / Position