Microbiology Research Technician, (MLT/MT Perferred)
Portsmouth, VA (ID#14979)
Cherokee Nation Technology Solutions (CNTS) provides technical support services and project support personnel to its defense and civilian agency clients. CNTS specializes in locating hard-to-find candidates for rapid response requests throughout the country. It provides a tailored management approach for complex government programs and disciplines including medical, science, geospatial intelligence, engineering, construction, research and development, facilities management, information technology, program management and mission support. Wholly owned by Cherokee Nation, CNTS is part of the Cherokee Nation Businesses family of companies.The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) aims to conduct biomedical research that is responsive to Department of Defense and US Army requirements and delivers lifesaving products including knowledge, technology and medical material that sustain the combat effectiveness of the Warfighter.
For more company information, visit our site at http://cherokee-cnts.com/Pages/Home.aspx
The Walter Reed Army Institute of Research (WRAIR) aims to conduct biomedical research that is responsive to Department of Defense and US Army requirements and delivers lifesaving products including knowledge, technology and medical material that sustain the combat effectiveness of the Warfighter.
We are seeking a Microbiology Research Technician to work at Naval Medical Center Portsmouth in Portsmouth, VA.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following:
- Serve as a laboratory technician working under the supervision of a principal investigator (Research/Clinical Scientist) or contractor laboratory manager/supervisor in performing laboratory procedure and experiments as required for the phenotypic and genotypic characterization of MDRO
- Perform experimental work including serological assays, chemical assays, genetic and molecular biology procedures, growth of solid and liquid cultures
- Perform routine laboratory duties required for the smooth and safe operation of laboratory such as maintaining a supply of clean glassware, properly disposing of hazardous biological and chemical waste, preparing reagents, and maintaining an inventory of laboratory chemicals
- Collect and process blood specimens from submitting laboratories
- Send the shipping supplies to submitting facilities and laboratories
- Verify analytic accuracy, precision, sensitivity and references ranges for test methods
- Work with Physician to analyze results and conduct more difficult, non-routine tests
- Maintain a laboratory notebook in which accurate and complete records of laboratory work is maintained in accordance with accepted standards
- Follow laboratory SOPs and specific written experimental protocols as well as oral instructions in performing assigned experimental work
- Submit reports and data summaries when applicable
- Comply with occupational health and safety standards and other applicable regulations and guidelines which may include medical surveillance
- Participate in the development of research protocols and grant proposals and in the conduct of research related to MRSN activities
- Attend relevant seminars, scientific conferences and meetings to the MRSN
- Operate systems/methodologies in order to produce timely and accurate data for patients, Quality Control (QC), and proficiency testing
- Ensures quality specimens for laboratory testing
- Report clinical data accurately and efficiently to ensure givers receive timely patient information
- Works to improve and expand the skill set of others involved with this effort by communicating and maintaining team knowledge
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- AS or BS in Biology, Chemistry or Microbiology preferred
- Experience in clinical microbiology or molecular biology outside of an academic setting
- GLP/GCP training
- MLT/MT certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with the processing of microbial identification and antibiotic susceptibility testing data generated on the three most widely used automated systems: Phoenix, Microscan, and Vitek2
- Strong teamwork and collaboration abilities
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment using critical thinking skills and decisive judgement with minimal supervision
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, walking, lifting, grasping and repetitive motion.
- Lifting up to 50 pounds
- Occasional stooping, squatting, pushing, pulling climbing, and overhead lifting
With $400 million in annual revenue, 20% growth per year, approximately 950+ active contracts serving 60+ government agencies in 25 countries, 47 states, 2 territories and 2000+ employees, Cherokee Nation Businesses’ (CNB) group of Federal Contracting Section 8(a) companies is well positioned to deliver expertise needed to solve complex technical issues. Federal Solutions provides an array of services for 12 of the 15 cabinet-level departments and agencies – from applications and data services to cybersecurity and national defense.
Why consider Cherokee Nation and our Federal Solutions business? Here are some great resources highlighting what we do and compelling reasons for joining our team!
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may email “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for the purpose of proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2018 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications.