******** PLEASE ATTACH YOUR LINKEDIN PROFILE TO ZIP RECRUITER WHEN COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION *********
Cherokee Funding, www.cherokeefunding.com, is one of the fastest growing legal and medical funding companies in the US. Cherokee Funding was founded in 2011 at the urging of several doctors and plaintiffs attorneys who wanted a better, completely reputable, option for their clients. The idea was simple – help plaintiffs by providing monetary advances for plaintiff's life needs and medical procedures so they can afford to wait for a fair settlement – and do it with 100% transparency, at the lowest cost and with great customer service.
Cherokee Funding markets business-to-business, online, at trade shows, sponsored events, and in-person meetings to law offices and medical providers. Our business is driven by referrals, which are driven by reputation and relationships. Our reputation in the industry is second to none. We seek to build and grow relationships with attorneys and healthcare providers to encourage them to refer their clients to us. Attorneys appreciate our in-depth understanding of case values and plaintiffs appreciate our reasonable pricing. Healthcare providers appreciate our ability to let them treat more clients and to get paid quickly as well as our reasonable pricing.
Cherokee is an incredibly fast growing company and want to bring on new members to join our team. The Cherokee work culture is all of the following: centered on our core values, upward career opportunities, very team oriented, fun and dynamic. We mean it seriously when we say that we want all of our new team members to be additive to our culture
The Underwriting’s day-to-day responsibilities are centered on expanding and developing our “book” by underwriting new cases, evaluating new cases types for funding. The role requires a high degree of analysis of case values based on the specifics of individual personal injury cases to determine if the funding will “fit” within a projected case value. In addition, the underwriter makes frequent calls with attorneys and their staff to understand the unique attributes of cases and utilizing their underwriting acumen to form opinion of risk. The role also includes working with team members to refine processes and procedures to improve funding throughput.
In addition, the Underwriter will be a key contributor to helping Cherokee build out data modeling and decisioning capabilities as the company move towards automated underwriting for certain case types so that the underwriting team can focus more time on the more nuanced cases.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Underwrite, service, and maintain our book of business which includes plaintiff cash advance and medical fundings to plaintiffs with personal injury claims
· Monitor, manage and report on the underwriting pipeline (i.e. the cases in process)
· Work closely with intake, case management, risk management and finance to evaluate risk of funding opportunities and provide alternative solutions when needed.
· Work closely with executive team to build out automated decisioning and analytics
· Ability to work in a fast paced environment, multi-task, and make quick decisions while maintaining underwriting integrity
· Leverage your analytical and underwriting expertise to review case files and provide a risk assessment, taking into account the anticipated case value, risk involved, and length of time to resolution, prior liens and any other relevant factors.
· Maintains and monitors files being underwritten to ensure fundings are being handled efficiently and in a timely manner.
· Create and refine methodology for evaluating new cases types for funding (ex. mass tort case types)
· Monitor cases on-going by routine follow ups to assess case values, potential repayment risks or unusual changes in relationships.
· Address any issues revealed by routine follow ups; i.e. change of attorney – send Notice of Lien along with Funding agreement to new attorney; attorney no longer represents client – send Notice of Lien to insurance and/or defense attorney
· Identifies funding process and procedural inefficiencies and recommends changes to team.
· Stay current on competition, underwriting environment, and market conditions and share that knowledge within the department.
· Maintain relationships with existing law firms and assist in the development of new law firms.
· Assist in special projects and reports.
· 3+ years of insurance underwriting, technical underwriting or risk analysis experience [KH3]
· Strong underwriting acumen
· Strong math aptitude
· Database skills
· Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
· Proven ability to develop & foster external relationships
· Track record of working well within a team environment
· Maximize portfolio revenue by practicing sound underwriting judgment and risk management principles
· Ensure compliance with underwriting policies; elevate risk issues, and stay abreast of constant changes in policy and procedures
· Strong communication skills including advanced negotiation, communications and presentation experience
· Ability to function kindly and efficiently in a high tempo work environment
· BS/BA Degree or equivalent experience
· Ability to work with stakeholders to assess potential risks.
· Ability to analyze existing tools and databases and provide software solution recommendations.
· Ability to translate business requirements into non-technical, lay terms.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get in at an early stage with a, fast growing company!