Kapsuun Group, LLC
Company Job Title: Mail Center Security Specialist - Second Shift
Clearance: Top Secret
Location: Sterling VA
Reports To: Program Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt, Temporary Full Time, Regular
The Mail Center Security Specialist will provide security screening on all mail and cargo entering the mail facility and monitor the handling areas within the facility for security threats and vulnerabilities. Training will take place on a modified Days schedule, then the position will rotate to second shift. Rotation to third shift may also be required, contingent on workload. This position will terminate after six months unless the customer requests an extension.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform x-ray security screening.
- Perform x-ray image interpretation to detect potentially dangerous goods, hazardous devices and listed prohibited items.
- Monitor the mail handling areas within the facility for mail security threats or vulnerabilities - report findings to DOS Management.
- Attend, obtain and maintain the certification for International Air Transport Association Accredited NON-Radioactive Dangerous Goods Training certification for IATA Category 3.
- Attend and complete the X-ray Security Screening Course (Government furnished) when provided.
- Comply with the National Incident Management system basic training requirements to ensure compliance with Homeland Security Presidential Directive (HSPD-5) during domestic incidents at the facility. At a minimum the following independent study classes are required to be successfully completed.
- IS-100. Introduction to Incident Command System
- IS-200. ICS for Single Resources and Initial Action Incidents
- IS-700. National Incident Management System, an introduction
- IS-800. National Response Framework, an introduction
- Understand the fundamentals and application of the Department of State 14 FAM Exhibit 723.2 regulations as it pertains to Diplomatic Pouch and Mail Operations.
- Understand the fundamentals and application of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)/Safety Data sheets (SDS) and the Global Harmonization labeling System for OSHA HAZCOM as they pertain to identifying dangerous goods within the DPM mail stream.
- Under the Oversight of DOS staff to include, where applicable depending on location, the Branch Chief, the Deputy Branch Chief, the Facility Industrial Hygienist and Bulk Supervisor / Pouch Control Officer, conduct duties as an extension of the designated Pouch Control Officer. The duties will include:
- Physical inspection of flagged parcels / pouches to determine if shipment is rejected or cleared for pouching.
- Scan parcel tracking numbers into Integrated Logistics Management System (ILMS) for comment input, record keeping and tracking.
- Perform recovery and mitigation on damaged or opened parcels.
- Attain and maintain demonstrated understanding and proficiency in the use of first responder detection equipment (GFE).
- Conduct field sample analysis of unknown or suspicious substances found within the confines of the Mail Facility.
- Safely isolate and secure pouch safety or security violation items and suspicious letter mail.
- Conduct physical inspection, inventory and provide accurate documentation (to include photographing) of findings on generated incident reports.
- Advise and instruct containment room mail handlers.
- Direct containment room mail handlers when necessary.
- Instruct containment room mail handlers during emergencies. (Unclassified facility only).
- Utilize building Emergency Public Announcement systems when directed by DOS Management during emergencies. (Unclassified facility only).
- Assist DOS management in initiating the Facility Emergency Action Plan and establishing incident command during emergencies.
- Authorized to perform emergency duties during training, exercises, drills, or actual emergencies. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Response to assist employees during exercises/drills and emergencies
- Assist person with special needs
- Perform duties as a floor Warden or monitor
- Utilization of personal protective equipment
- Assumption of any of the assigned Incident Command General Staff positions, and other such duties as required during training, exercise, drills, and actual emergencies.
- Responsible for lifting 70 lbs. heavy mail pouches and packages.
- Other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma/GED required.
- 2 years of relevant work experience
- Passing score on proficiency test with detection screening equipment may be in lieu of experience
- Must be able to work night shift
- Top Secret clearance required
- Ability to work night shift
- Ability to meet security clearance requirements
- Working knowledge of DoS and Federal Regulations addressing mail and package handling.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of key mail and parcel screening components and experience in troubleshooting and maintaining equipment.
- Possess basic aptitudes and physical abilities including color perception, visual and aural acuity, physical coordination, and motor skills to perform all required tasks.
- Knowledge and understanding of response actions to possible incidents involving explosives, hazardous materials, biological agents, and chemicals.
- Successfully complete mandatory training and required certifications to use all detection equipment
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
- The employee will normally work in a temperature-controlled environment, with frequent exposure to electronic equipment.
- During visits to areas of operations, may be exposed to extreme cold or hot weather conditions. Is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and loud noise.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled
Native preference under PL 93-638.
We participate in the E-Verify Employment Verification Program.
Primary Location: United States-Virginia-Sterling
Organization: Kapsuun Group, LLC
Strategic Business Unit: Military Intelligence and Operations Support
Security Requirements: Top Secret
Job Schedule: Full Time Exempt
Recruiter: Melissa Gendreau
Req ID: 1900003338