Position is responsible for leading the legislative strategy and coordinating government relations in both new and existing markets outside of Florida. Selects and manages consultants, drives initiatives during legislative sessions and year-round. Also maintains lead responsibility for identifying potential expansion opportunities in states where we operate by building client relationships, and managing all aspects of the sales cycle. Position will report directly to the General Counsel and have high visibility to the Senior Executive Team.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and accomplish key legislative strategies to promote CSUSA as a developer and operator of schools in new and existing markets in in all applicable states.
- Manage State Government Affairs Supervisors and lobbying teams to drive legislative policy initiatives and lead in the engagement of elected officials and political leadership at the local and state level.
- Reports daily activity in pursuit of corporate legislative goals.
- Facilitates meetings between CSUSA and key elected officials for purpose of briefing them on company’s position.
- Escorts elected officials and their staffs to schools, company facilities, and events to enhance their understanding the charter school movement and CSUSA.
- Eliminate all bills that would negatively impact CSUSA as an operator in different locations.
- Identify potential expansion opportunities and create and build potential client relationships, including governing boards.
- Develop opportunity profiles and project plans.
- Support the approval of expansion where needed.
- Represent CSUSA at various government relations and development events.
- Assist in developing and facilitating the proposal/application process for identified opportunities..
- Develop operational knowledge of state regulatory requirements for school openings as well as daily school operations.
- Communicate with CSUSA and network schools regarding how to effectively implement regulatory requirements.
- Continuously research and review data sources for revisions to regulations.
**MAY PERFORM OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED**
SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE
1. Possesses knowledge of the charter school industry, charter school statutes and the dynamics of Federal, State and local political environments.
2. Possesses knowledge of Federal Educational funding programs as well as State budgeting environments.
3. Has exposure to broad-based issues including the legislative and political process and an understanding of the factors affecting legislative policy development.
4. Has experience in communicating policy views to public sector staff and knowledge of the legislative environment.
5. Possesses knowledge of the professional legislative standards for lobbyists.
6. Provides direction and leadership support to State Government Affairs Supervisors and the lobbying team.
7. Has the ability to analyze a broad range of issues utilizing varied analytical techniques is key, as is sophisticated strategic thinking to determine how best to influence decisions by policy makers.
8. Has demonstrated abilities in setting and meeting objectives, while reacting within a growing and changing internal and external environment.
9. Has the ability to synthesize complex problems and public policy issues while identifying their related business implications and the actions necessary to advocate a recommended outcome.
10. Possesses high level of confidence, integrity, can-do attitude, and a hands on approach to problem solving are required, as well as a professional executive presence for interacting with and influencing public policy decision makers, senior management and executives internal and external to the company.
11. Has the ability to influence, negotiate with, and persuade others.
12. Is flexible and demonstrates strong judgment, decision-making skills, and political acumen.
13. Has a strong commitment and ability to work cooperatively with a team.
14. Possesses excellent organizational, verbal, and written communication skills, project management, planning, oral presentations and human relations' skills.
15. Demonstrates enthusiasm and commitment toward the job and the mission of the company; supports company’s goals and strategic priorities.
16. Works and interacts with staff and relates to individuals at all levels of the organization. As unique situations present themselves, the incumbent must be sensitive to corporate needs, employee goodwill, and the public image.
17. Ability to prepare and analyze comprehensive business reports, including writing and/or editing report sections, integrating content, and formatting business documents.
18. Thinks ahead and plans over a 2-3 year time span.
19. Ability to consistently be at work, to arrive on time, to follow instructions, to respond to management direction and solicit feedback to improve performance.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Political Science, Education, or a related field.
- 8+ years of experience in policy, political operations or lobbying.
- Experience working with boards or committees.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Windows Explorer, visual presentations.
- Ability to travel extensively throughout the country and work evenings/weekends as required to support functions.