P/T Deputy Sheriff
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS) Charlotte, NC
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
JOB RESPONSIBILITIES: The Charlotte Area Transit (CATS) Security Officer protects life, safety and welfare of transit patrons and employees, enforces laws and regulations, investigates crimes committed on or against facilities owned, controlled, or operated by the Authority, and protects Authority revenue. The incumbent serves as a sworn Sherriff Deputy with full apprehension and arrest powers throughout the Transit zone. The Charlotte Area Transit Security Officer must obtain and maintain police certification in the City of Charlotte and State of North Carolina. This position requires a substantial element of personal risk. Additionally, this position requires tactful conscientious and efficient performance of duties under minimal direct supervision.
Patrols the total transit system, in collaboration with CATS-BOD, City of Charlotte and designated third-party security personnel.
Performs patrol activities and related tasks such as vehicle and foot patrols, traffic control, security checks, crowd control and assisting persons in distress (includes providing emergency medical care to ill or injured persons).
Carries out apprehension and arrest procedures; issues warnings and citations; investigates accidents, complaints, and incidents; preserves crime scenes and gathers evidence.
Operates communications equipment and vehicles; follows procedures regarding the use of firearms and the use of force; maintains equipment in excellent working order.
Prepares and submits accurate police reports; successfully completes all training requirements; conforms to the appropriate CATS Dress Code.
Communicates with and offers assistance to the public; answers questions; responds to complaints or problems in tactful and diplomatic manner. Strives to meet CATS Police Services goals to provide for a customer oriented, safe and secure system.
Acquires and demonstrates knowledge of federal regulations, local ordinances, state law, and CATS Police emergency and safety procedures.
Restrains a criminal suspect, assailant, or perpetrator, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints, subdues resisting arrestees using maneuvers and resorts to the use of other approved methods of self-defense
Pursues fleeing suspects and performs rescue operations and other duties which may involve quickly entering and exiting secured areas, lifting, carrying, and dragging heavy objects, climbing up and down elevated surfaces, climbing through openings, jumping over obstacles, crawling in confined areas, and using body force to gain entrance.
Prepares investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols and mathematical computations, and does filing by alphabetizing and labeling.
Gathers information in criminal and administrative investigations by interviewing and obtaining statements of victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informants and exercises independent judgement in determining when probable cause exists to recommend arrest, warrants or disciplinary action is required.
Testifies in court relative to specific findings as required.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
High School Diploma or GED supplemented
Sworn (and current) Mecklenburg County Sheriff Deputy who gains required approval
- Required to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Continual physical effort required.
- Work performed in a variety of environments and weather conditions
The above is intended to describe the general content of, and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. The principal duties, responsibilities, and requirements enumerated are essential job functions. Individual holding this position may be required to perform other duties as assigned by the General Manager.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ype or Copy/Paste Job Description here
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must maintain current/active status with Mecklenburg County Sherriff Department
- Must be a current sworn Sherriff Deputy with in-depth knowledge of all law enforcement protocol.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral are an essential part of job duties.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook), Excel required.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and managers.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise written correspondence/reports.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills required.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle or prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to follow written and verbal directions and initiate actions to complete work assignments.
- Some analytical ability is required in order to gather and summarize data for reports, find solutions to various administrative problems and prioritize work.
- Must be able to communicate in English, bi-lingual a plus
Type or Copy/Paste Requirements here
Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)
GovernmentView all jobs at Charlotte Area Transit System (CATS)