Cetechs is searching for an optician to provide services to America’s veterans at the Veterans Affairs Medical Center in Minneapolis, MN. Address: 1 Veterans Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55417
** NOTE: This position does not start until April 1, 2020. **
Opticians dispense and fit eyeglasses and frames to Veterans. The scope of the optician services required includes verifying prescriptions, measuring patients for properly fitting spectacles, making repairs and adjustments, performing measurement tasks, documenting bifocal heights, spectacle data, visual acuity, patient education, and performing other related duties as assigned. Direct Patient Care: 95% of the time involved in direct patient care
Opticians work directly with Veterans in order to provide care throughout their visit whether it is for exams, procedures or even surgeries. After an optometrist and ophthalmologist have assessed a patient's needs and written a prescription, an optician must then oversee the ordering of all eye-related products and ensure that they are fitted, adjusted and repaired properly. Opticians may also be responsible for designing and fitting special devices such as artificial eyes, traumatic or anatomical defects and will be required to provide the following services:
· Interpretation of prescriptions written by ophthalmologists and optometrists
· Taking eye and facial measurements to correctly interpret prescriptions
· Collection of eye measurements including corneal width and thickness
· Helping clients select eyeglasses and lens treatments including tints and coatings
· Guiding patients when selecting frames for proper fit and styling
· Creating work orders for lab technicians to ensure delivery of proper lenses
· Adjusting eyeglasses to ensure a proper fit
· Repairing broken frames
· Advising patients on any necessary repairs and adjustments
· Inserting, removing and caring for contact lenses
· Educating clients on proper eyeglass and contact lens care
· Keeping track of orders, prescriptions, and inventory
· Maintaining displays
· Basic bookkeeping duties associated with tracking the patient’s orders and recording purchases and other necessary information for each patient.
· Preparing work order for optical laboratory
· Ensuring that all orders arrive and are to the specifications of the patient.
· Other optical related duties as assigned.
Opticians must maintain professional conduct and the highest standard of integrity during interactions with patients, patients’ families, nurses, physicians, and other healthcare professionals. Contract opticians will consistently communicate and treat others in a courteous, tactful and respectful manner.
· Optician’s license is not required.
· Board Certification/Experience: providers shall be board certified by the American Board of Optician (ABO) and/or the National Contact Lens Examiners (NCLE) http://abop.org/board-certification/. In lieu of certification, the provider must have at least three (3) years current Optician experience. Opticians provided must have had formal education and training in an opticianry program that is accredited by the Commission on Opticianry Accreditation http://www.coaccreditation.com/ or have completed an Optician apprenticeship with three (3) years of on the job training. All continuing education courses required for certification and/or keeping up to date with developments in the field must always be kept up to date. Documentation verifying current certifications and education is required.
· American Heart Association BLS Card
· PPD, MMR, Varicella, Tdap, Flu (prior to start date)
· Must be able to pass a Federal background check
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday, excluding federal holidays, between 7:30 am to 5:00 pm
Flexible shifts are available:
7:30am – 4:00pm
8:00am – 4:30pm
8:30am – 5:00pm
Benefits and Salary
Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits
Generous Vacation/PTO policy in addition to 10 Federal Holidays
The following (10) holidays are observed by the Department of Veterans Affairs:
• New Year’s Day
• Martin Luther King’s Birthday
• President’s Day
• Memorial Day
• Independence Day
• Labor Day
• Columbus Day
• Veterans Day
• Any day specifically declared to be a national holiday.
Cetechs is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment to all employees and applicants for employment. Cetechs will not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment based on a person’s race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, medical/physical status or disability, or military status.