The Maintenance Engineer is responsible for investigating and problem solving plant reliability issues utilizing World Class Manufacturing (WCM) techniques and principles. As part of a performance improvement team, this position supports critical project development and management as well as working with maintenance teams in the rationalization, planning and scheduling of maintenance activities to drive improved sustainable plant performance (reliability, yield, cost, etc.) in a manner consistent with CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO).
· Reports directly to the Performance Improvement Manager and works effectively with internal and external customers
· Provides an accident free work-site while maintaining status as the preferred supplier of quality products and services with a goal of world class yield, availability and reliability
· Responsible for planning, evaluating, organizing, and implementing assigned installation, maintenance and repair activities and coordinating with other departments to assure minimum downtime for production and maximum safety of employees
· Performs root cause analysis and implements sustainable countermeasures on losses related to maintenance
· Ensures Preventive Maintenance (PM) is accomplished in a timely manner and are to a high standard of quality
· Work with maintenance supervisor to develop PM’s that drive improved reliability
· Interacts with managers and supervisors at plant and corporate personnel to secure appropriate resources to plan and implement projects
· Works closely with Production and Engineering Managers to coordinate any proposed changes using the change management system
· Supports Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) in the development of equipment ledgers and problem solving
· Develops and maintains standard operating and maintenance procedures and work instructions
· Maintains records of plant and individual equipment performance.
· Ensures full documentation of all projects and systems to WCM / Early Equipment Management (EEM) standards.
· Supports Autonomous Maintenance (AM) through training of operators and ensuring that equipment basic conditions are maintained.
· Analyzes / stratifies accurate data and information from records to prepare reports, statistics, etc. in support of continuous improvement of Reliability.
· Continuously evaluates workplace for safety concerns and ensures behavioral safety initiatives are performed to goal levels.
· Assures good housekeeping practices following 5S systems, enforces plant rules and safety regulations, and supports VMVO and WCM initiatives.
· Communicates, updates, and coordinates with internal and external customers on a consistent and regular basis
· Adheres to relevant policies and procedures including internal purchasing control policies
· Supports and participates in CertainTeed Gypsum Vision, Mission, Values and Objectives (VMVO), and WCM projects and plant initiatives as required
· Reports to work a consistent and regular basis
· Performs other Planning and department back-up related duties as necessary
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Research, purchase, inventory, logistics and maintenance of spare parts stores area
· Development of detailed maintenance tasks
· Develops and manages capital projects
· Maintains various department records, files, reports and equipment ledgers.
· Performs other related duties and responsibilities as needed and / or requested by management
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
· Bachelor’s Degree in mechanical engineering or similar discipline or equivalent experience.
· Experience with heat transfer and flow of solids, liquids and powder.
· Excellent problem solving capabilities and the ability to work independently on assigned tasks.
· Flexible and open-minded with good written and oral communication.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite and AutoCAD
PREFERRED OR DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
· Applied professional maintenance experience and aptitude in a manufacturing environment.
· Experience with P&ID, Equipment Layout Drawings, MS Project.
· Experience in grinding, conveying, mixing, forming, design optimization & troubleshooting.
· Knowledge of WCM, EEM, Kaizens, Lean, TPM, Root Cause, PFMEA & DFMEA toolsets
· Familiar with PM technologies (vibration analysis, infrared thermography, oil analysis, ultrasonic).
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY (Any budgeting responsibilities? Maximum approval authority for purchases, etc.)
Assists in maintaining set parameters and makes recommendations for budgetary expenditures.
Works in a manufacturing plant environment with limited HVAC, concrete floors, and exposure to industrial noise, dust, chemicals and temperature changes. Normal plant operation is 24 hours, 7 days a week and work hours may vary depending on business needs. May require long hours, and weekend and holiday work. May require travel by air and rental cars.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS (List only physical requirements that are essential to the position and/or cannot be easily accommodated.)
Must be able to spend a significant amount of time on plant floor. Job includes tasks that require walking, bending, twisting, gripping, stair and ladder climbing, entering confined spaces, navigating rough terrain and occasional lifting of up to 75 lbs. Job may require long periods of sitting, walking, standing, working on a computer or engaging in telephone conversation. Must be capable of wearing personal protective equipment necessary to comply with government and company safety standards whenever engineered methods of reducing hazards or physical requirements cannot be reasonably accommodated.
The above declarations are not intended to be all-inclusive of this position’s duties, responsibilities and requirements to do this job. They are intended only to describe its general nature.