Position Title: Development and Communications Intern
Program: Development and Communications
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Communications Manager
CentroNía is a nationally recognized, multicultural learning community with a pioneering approach to bilingual education. CentroNía provides educational and cultural programs to early childhood, school-aged children, and youth. It also provides a variety of services to families through the Family Center and Community Education and Engagement programs. For everyone, CentroNía offers a welcoming environment that encourages intellectual adventure and provides support to children, youth, and families in the Washington, DC region.
CentroNía is seeking college students, current graduate students, or recent college graduates who are interested in providing a wide range support for fundraising, administrative, and general support services to CentroNía’s Development and Communications Department. CentroNía will provide an opportunity for its interns to gain experience in and familiarity with areas such as fundraising, philanthropy, bilingual education, and the day-to-day operations of a local nonprofit organization. The Development and Communications Intern will work closely with the entire development and communications team and will report to the Communications Manager.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist the development staff in planning donor/stewardship events and other fundraising activities.
- Create various materials to be used in fundraising and/or communications projects.
- Work with program staff and Communications team to find compelling stories about CentroNía that can be used for fundraising and/or communications initiatives.
- Provide administrative support as needed.
- Attend department and staff meetings.
- Assist with other general mailings, filings, and special projects as needed.
Required Core Competencies:
- Eager to contribute new and/or innovative ideas
- Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Exemplary organizational and time-management skills
- Team player, but also able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Able to submit projects on or before given deadlines
- Interested in moving forward CentroNía’s mission and vision
- Desire to learn more about fundraising and philanthropy.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Strong competency in Microsoft Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Some experience in Adobe Creative Suite preferred, specifically Photoshop and InDesign.
- Experience with database management is a plus.
- Practice professional and effective interpersonal communication skills.
- A demonstrated commitment to ethical standards and personal integrity.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) a plus, but not required.
Working hours, start date, and duration:
A firm commitment of 15 to 20 hours per week is required. Hours are generally between 9:00 AM-5:00 PM, but we’re seeking someone willing to work occasional evenings for events. The internship will start at a mutually agreed upon date and may continue through the academic year depending on mutual interest and satisfactory performance. This is an unpaid internship. Before commencement of internship, you must be willing to complete a criminal background check.
Some traveling is expected for this position.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance:
CentroNía participates in E-Verify to confirm work authorization of employees. This position requires submission of required fingerprint background check.
CentroNía provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, CentroNía complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the organization has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
To comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA), which prohibits discrimination against qualified individuals on the basis of disability, it is necessary to specify the physical, mental and environmental conditions of the Essential Duties of the job. The following codes are used to explain the frequency of physical activity:
"F" for frequently; "O" for occasionally; "N" for not at all
On the job the individual must be able to carry/lift loads of:
( F ) Light (up to 25lbs.)
( F ) Moderate (25-50lbs.)
( O ) Heavy (over 50lbs.)
On the job the individual must:
( F ) Bend ( O ) Sit ( F ) Squat and Kneel ( F ) Stand ( F ) Crawl ( F ) Walk ( O ) Climb ( F ) Push/Pull
( F ) Handle objects (Manual Dexterity) ( O ) Reach above shoulder level ( F ) Use fine finger movements.
Community-based organization with a safe, stable and healthy environment.
CentroNia has a very diverse staff, and Spanish/English bilingualism is essential to conduct business and serve clients.