Veteran Outreach Specialist
The Veteran Outreach Specialist will serve as an initial point of contact to assist with the outreach, support, and coordination of care for individuals who are current or former members of the armed forces who are considering engaging in supports for mental health, substance use, and co-occurring disorders. The Veteran Outreach Specialist is responsible for assisting with the promotion of Agency programs to the veteran community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide telephonic as well as face to face outreach, engagement and service planning to individuals and families in order to facilitate their engagement in services and offer additional supports so they can successfully participate in behavioral health treatment in the community
- Conduct standardized, evidence-based screenings for risk/ safety and immediate needs in order to assist participants with identifying the types of supports in which they wish to engage.
- Utilize lived experience to engage participants and promote a message of support and recovery.
- Facilitate connections to service members and families to community-based resources designed to support veterans and create supportive social networks and other needed services per interdisciplinary care plan.
- Provide coaching and support, especially on issues of self-advocacy, self-management, medication adherence, smoking cessation, entitlements, and daily living activities.
- Provide transportation for and accompany clients to appointments to facilitate their engagement and follow through as needed.
- Maintain documents, records, statistics, and other related reports in an organized, timely and accurate manner as per policy and procedure.
- Coordinate care planning with treatment team members and other providers of services/ resources to ensure goal directed, collaborative care, including care transitions.
- Monitors overall service delivery to clients to ensure coordination and continuity; advocates with service providers/resources as needed.
- Act as a liaison between the Agency and the community it serves; represent the agency and promote its programs in a professional and knowledgeable manner at various community events, trainings, and forums as needed
- Provide direct outreach to courts, attorneys, hospitals, probation, parole, DSS, CPS, DDP, PCPs, schools and various other community groups with direct referral back to the Agency and its programs.
- Maintain documentation for outreach activities and in client case records for enrolled participants.
- Facilitate sharing of data with the individuals to whom it applies to facilitate partnered decision-making and to keep clients informed of progress
- Complete QI Training during onboarding and participate in QI refresher training as needed.
- Ability to cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views and experiences. A Culture that makes better decisions, drives innovation, and delivers better business results.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Relevant life experience required: personal experience with military service, history of substance use and/or social/emotional challenge, and willingness to draw upon this experience to serve as a role model to support the recovery goals of individuals served.
- Certified Recovery Peer Advocate (CRPA) or Peer Specialist certification required within one year of hire. Application for and maintenance of highest level of professional licensure upon eligibility required.
- Knowledge of community resources and community outreach preferred.
- Current New York State Drivers License
- Clean DMV Record
We offer an attractive and competitive benefits package. (Eligible only for Full-time employees)
If interested please apply via this ad or fax your resume to HR DIRECTOR, CAROL OTERO at 516-396-0553.
- Central Nassau Guidance & Counseling Services, inspires and catalyzes recovery for people living with mental health and substance use conditions through innovative and person-centered integrated clinical treatment, counseling, housing, and support services.
- Every job and every team at our agency plays a role in helping other Long Islanders live healthy and fulfilling lives.
- Engage your passion and CHOOSE a career & employer where you can use your vital energy to make a difference.
It is the policy of Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services, Inc. to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, marital status, citizenship, national origin, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. Central Nassau Guidance and Counseling Services, Inc. prohibits any such discrimination or harassment.
Central Nassau Guidance & Counseling ServicesHicksville, NY
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.