As a Field Utility Systems Specialist for the CIA, you will have full-scope responsibility for a variety of industrial utility systems and infrastructure deployed at Agency data centers world-wide. These systems include heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC), three-phase power (120/208/220/380/460) distribution grids, emergency power generators (diesel), automatic transfer switches (ATS), transformers, uninterruptible power supplies (UPS), automatic voltage regulators (AVR) and plumbing systems.
Participating in the full project life cycle, you will plan, review, execute and document the installation of utility systems and supporting infrastructure on both large and small scales. You will also repair, upgrade, modify, configure and maintain existing utility systems to ensure the highest levels of availability and reliability. Field Utility Systems Specialists are required to broaden their skills across multiple disciplines (HVAC, electrical, emergency power generators and diesel technology) and to remain proficient in their principal trade/field.
The capacity and commitment to serve globally is essential. Field Utility Systems Specialists typically work overseas in a temporary travel status up to 50% of the time. Some assignments may be in difficult, harsh and challenging environments. Opportunities to live and work overseas are also available and most Field Utility Systems Specialists live abroad at some point in their careers. Field Utility Systems Specialists receive benefits and allowances for travel that positively impact their overall compensation.
Offices of the CIA - Directorate of Digital Innovation
The Directorate of Digital Innovation (DDI) is at the forefront of defining the future of digital expertise within the CIA. DDI focuses on developing the workforce with cutting-edge skills, investing in IT infrastructure, and modernizing the way the Agency does business. DDI officers help accelerate the integration of innovative methods and tools to enhance the CIA's cyber and digital capabilities on a global scale and ultimately help safeguard our nation. Learn more about the Directorate of Digital Innovation.
Life at CIA:
In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, the CIA offers exciting career opportunities and a dynamic environment. We're on the forefront of world-altering events - as they happen. So working here isn't just a job, it's a mindset and a lifestyle.
- Associate’s degree from an accredited university or vocational/trade school plus three (3) years relevant experience in one of the following fields or related studies:
- Applied Science for Electrical Technology
- Electrical / Electrician Trades
- Diesel or Diesel Power Generator Technology
- Or, equivalent civilian or military work experience with a minimum of five (5) years of relevant trades experience (Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Diesel or Diesel Power Generator Technology)
- GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds when supporting installations or special requirements
- Ability to climb ladders, stoop, bend and reach for extended periods of time
- Dynamic and flexible professional approach
- Strong desire to learn
- Accountability for actions
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a professional team
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in a STEM discipline
- Journeyman license or equivalent certification in at least one trade (Electrical, HVAC, Plumbing, Diesel or Diesel Power Generator Technology)
- OSHA certification
The following items must be attached to your on-line application (PDF format preferred):
- Cover letter in which you specify your qualifications for this position. Please address why you want to work in this role and what differentiates you from other applicants.
- Unofficial transcripts for all college / university level academic work
ALL POSITIONS REQUIRE RELOCATION TO THE WASHINGTON DC METROPOLITAN AREA.
All applicants must successfully complete a thorough medical and psychological exam, a polygraph interview and an extensive background investigation. US citizenship is required.
To be considered suitable for Agency employment, applicants must generally not have used illegal drugs within the last twelve months. The issue of illegal drug use prior to twelve months ago is carefully evaluated during the medical and security processing.
Important Notice: Friends, family, individuals, or organizations may be interested to learn that you are an applicant for or an employee of the CIA. Their interest, however, may not be benign or in your best interest. You cannot control whom they would tell. We therefore ask you to exercise discretion and good judgment in disclosing your interest in a position with the Agency. You will receive further guidance on this topic as you proceed through your CIA employment processing.
Save the position(s) that interest you in the job cart. You can add up to four (4) positions. Job cart selections will only be retained during this site visit, so be sure to click “Apply Now” before closing the browser window. After clicking "Apply Now" you will be taken to the application account creation page. The positions will appear in the cart once you have created an account. DO NOT submit multiple applications; this will only slow the review of your application and delay processing. Please read the Application Instructions carefully before you begin the online application process.
An equal opportunity employer and a drug-free work force.