SUMMARY: As a Diesel Technician, you will troubleshoot, diagnose, adjust, repair, or overhaul trucks, buses, and all types of diesel engines. You will also correct vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major assemblies, sub-assemblies, components, parts, or systems, such as, power and drive trains, electrical, air conditioning, fuel, emission, brake, steering, hydraulics; complete machine shop operations; make adjustments and alignments including bearing loads, gear tooth contact, valve mechanisms, governors, oil systems, control linkages, clutches, and traction units.
- Reads job orders and observes and listens to operating equipment to ensure conformance to specifications or to determine malfunctions.
- Verifies vehicle performance by conducting test-drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Inspects defective equipment and diagnoses malfunctions, using test instruments, such as motor analyzers, chassis charts, and pressure gauges. Attaches test instruments to equipment and reads dials and gauges to diagnose malfunctions.
- Changes oil, checks batteries, and lubricates equipment and machinery.
Adjusts brakes, aligns wheels, tightens bolts and screws, and reassembles equipment.
- Disassembles and overhauls internal combustion engines, pumps, generators, transmissions, clutches, and rear ends.
- Examines and adjusts protective guards, loose bolts, and specified safety devices.
- Inspects and verifies dimensions and clearances of parts to ensure conformance to factory specifications.
- Inspects, repairs, and maintains mechanical equipment and machinery, such as pumps and compressors
- Operates valve-grinding machine to grind and reset valves.
- Reconditions and replaces parts, pistons, bearings, gears, and valves.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Enhances maintenance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Report to work as scheduled, on-time and prepared to start work
- Comply with all company policies as detailed in the Company Handbook
- Work in safe manner at all times and report any accidents/injuries/workplace hazards to your supervisor immediately
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor
Education and Experience:
- 4+ years working as a diesel truck mechanic
Engine overhaul experience
- Advanced troubleshooting and diagnostic testing
Advanced electronic repair experience
- Extensive knowledge in the repair and maintenance of diesel engines & power trains
ASE certification is preferred
- A combination of varying education/experience may be considered to meet this qualification.
Skills and Knowledge:
Active listening skills to assess customer needs, effective speaking/writing skills to convey information, reading comprehension skills. Strong verbal and Documentation skills. Knowledge and use of the English language to effectively communicate with customers. Knowledge and/or experience with truck parts components. Multi-tasking skills are imperative. Must be proficient in basic math and computer skills. Technical understanding & Attention to detail a must.
Position requires the ability to stand for long periods of time, use hands/fingers to operate a keyboard and ten-key. Position also requires the ability to walk, stand, crawl, work in confined spaces, during periods of excessive heat/cold and lift up to 25 pounds on a regular basis. Occasional lifting up to 50 pounds required. Refer to job analysis for additional specific requirements.
The working environment is generally moderate to high with regards to noise level. Regular exposure to hazardous materials, engine exhaust, times of moderate to high heat and cold.
- Own your own tools
- Have or be able to get a Commercial Driver’s License
- Strong character & Work ethic
Dependable, Responsible team player with a positive attitude
California Truck Centers represents the brands Freightliner, Western Star, Isuzu, and Sprinter. We carry a large variety of all makes in both new and used commercial, heavy, medium duty, severe duty, conventional, day cab, cab & chassis trucks and others for sale. We deliver a higher standard of value with more than 500 employees at our seven full-service dealerships in Fresno, Bakersfield, French Camp, Sacramento, San Luis Obispo, Santa Maria and Oakland, CA.