The Safety Training Coordinator will assist with leading the Company’s efforts to maintain a healthy and safe work environment for all employees. The position will assist with maintaining adherence to applicable laws pertaining to safe workplace standards, while ensuring regulatory compliance with all laws governing the industry.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required for this position. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with qualifying disabilities to perform the essential function[s] of the job with or without restrictions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Oversee technical compliance with state and federal Occupational Health and Safety laws and any other standard[s] from applicable regulatory agencies
● Partner with the Safety Manager and other key leaders to ensure proper and effective implementation of safety rules governing all job positions in the workplace
· Conduct periodic safety inspections and/or evaluations of the workplace, inclusive of equipment inspections, hazard identification, and other risk assessment of workstations and provide periodic reports in partnership with the Safety Manager and Compliance Manager
● Provide periodic training on any and all health and safety topics required in the industry
● Provide periodic training on any and all equipment, including power-lift equipment and other machinery used in the course of business
● Facilitate selection and distribution of appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE)
● Maintain inventory of all safety-related supplies, such as PPE, first-aid kits, etc
● Provide direct response, investigation and support for industrial injuries, accidents and/or near-misses
● Assist with the completion of industrial injury claim packets
● Partner with the Company’s third-party administrator for timely filing of industrial claims for benefits
CORE COMPENTENCIES, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Organizational and planning skills. Ability to coordinate tasks in order of priority, while effectively multi-tasking and maintaining attention-to-detail. Develop short-term and long-term plans by using effective scheduling methods and tools.
- Communication skills. Ability to maintain clear and concise communication, across all departments and with all levels of employees.
- Sound judgment and decision-making skills. Provide appropriate guidance and/or coaching to all business units to promote a healthy and safe workplace.
- Adaptability. Flexibility to adjust an approach or response to changes within the business, while maintaining compliance with policy, procedure and applicable laws.
- Accountability. Ability to take ownership of tasks and other responsibilities. Effectively self-manage during times of autonomous work.
- Functional business acumen. Understand the core business purpose and how each functional unit lends to the development and growth of the Company.
- Relationship and team building. Foster an environment of collaboration and teamwork by leading by example.
EDUCATION, WORK EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
● 5+ years of verifiable work experience in a safety-supervisory role, preferably in the cannabis industry, or related field, including experience with General Industry Safety Orders or regulations
● Diploma or Certificate of Completion of General Education Studies from an accredited high school
● Proficiency of the Spanish language, verbal and written. No specific dialect
● Proficiency of the English language, verbal and written
● Certificate of Completion of Occupational Safety and Health Training (10 Hour)
● Certificate of Completion of Powerlift Equipment Train-the-Trainer
● Certificate of Completion of Tractor Train-the-Trainer
● Certificate of Completion of First Aid/CPR Training (2 year)
● Beginner knowledge of Lockout/Tagout Protocol (Machinery & Electrical safety)
● Beginner knowledge of Hazard Identification Analysis
● Intermediate knowledge and practical use of Microsoft Office systems (i.e., MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and other MS Tools) and Google Sheets
● Must possess and maintain a valid California Driver License, and meet requirements for insurability under the Company’s policy
● Must be 21 years of age (or older) at the time of hire
● Associate Degree (or higher) in business, occupational health and safety and/or operations related discipline
● Certificate of Completion of Occupational Safety and Health Training (30 Hour)
● Workers’ Compensation claims handling experience
● Functional knowledge of California cannabis regulations
● Knowledge of agriculture, cultivation, farming operations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds utilizing partner lift. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Driving a motor vehicle on a private road, commercial road or highway is required. Basic physical and mental requirements and/or functions governed by the applicable state and/or federal regulatory agency for motor vehicle use will apply. Periodic powerlift equipment and tractor use may be required.
Primarily in an office and field environment. Will be expected to travel regularly to various farm locations. The Company is unable to control the work environment while an employee is conducting business outside of Company premises. This may cause for an employee to be subject to fluctuating noise, temperature or other environmental factors outside the control of the Company.
Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.