The Cultivation Manager position will lead the Cultivation team in areas related to the cultivation and processing of cannabis for CCA. The Agriculture Operations Manager is responsible for coordinating planting, feeding, spraying, harvesting and cultivating plants. Incumbent will be held accountable for plant health, soil health and overall cleanliness and appearance of all CCA associated properties. This position might require exposure to and use of chemical compounds for application on crops which may be hazardous and cause injury if specific instructions regarding their mixture, application, use and disposal/storage are not properly followed.
Working environment will include office, warehouse, shop, and greenhouse/hoophouse environments. To perform this job successfully, the individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required for this position.
● Participate in the planning, preparation, and execution of CCA activities with the VP of cultivation and Cultivation Supervisor to assess and complete projects related to all Central Coast Agriculture farming
● Inspect the plants regularly and identify horticultural tasks that need to be performed. Prioritize horticultural tasks, develop work schedules, and coordinate their implementation with senior staff.
● Track soil and plant health through tissue and soil tests, works closely with vendors and their agronomists on long term soil viability plans.
● Train and supervise staff in all aspects of plant maintenance and development including soil preparation, planting & transplanting, mulching, watering, weeding, fertilizing, pruning, propagating,raking, tree & brush cutting, chipping, and the proper use of shovels, trowels, fan rakes, grading rakes, spades, digging forks, pickaxes, brooms, hand shears, hand saws, loppers, pole pruners & pole saws, wheelbarrows, fertilizer spreaders, garden carts, ladders, and other hand tools.
● Train and supervise staff in the proficient operation of push mowers, riding mowers, string trimmers, backpack sprayers, garden utility vehicles , tractors, pickup/dump trucks, chainsaws, chippers and other power equipment in accordance with CCA safety protocols and regulatory standards.
● Provide hands-on assistance with the completion of work tasks, when needed. Evaluate cultivation needs and supplies inventory.
● Monitor gardens and plant collections for pests and diseases. Report pest and disease problems to IPM coordinator.
● Create a harmonious and productive work environment. Addresses discipline issues and reports them properly to senior staff and HR. Contributes to a work environment that encourages knowledge of, respect for, and development of skills to engage with those of other cultures or backgrounds.
● Implements and follows CCA Policies, Procedures, Standards, and Rules & Regulations, and ensures that subordinate employees perform their duties in a safe and efficient manner.
● Ensures that established safety guidelines are followed and complies with O.S.H.A. and Right‐to‐Know standards.
● Monitors, assigns and assists with carrying out standard operational procedures, as required, including working overtime for harvest and transplantings.
● Advises senior staff of forecasted equipment and supply needs.
● Remains competent and current through self-directed professional reading, developing professional contacts with colleagues, attending professional development courses, and attending training and/or courses as required.
● Supports the overall success of Central Coast Agriculture by performing all other duties as assigned.
● Attach farm implements such as plows, discs, sprayers or bedders to tractors, using bolts and hand tools.
● Drive company vehicles in a safe manner to haul equipment, supplies, tools, or farm workers. Operate and tow machines to specified locations when needed.
● Able to work nights and weekends when required.
● Performs the responsibilities of supervisory/senior staff in their absence.
● Planning and Organizing – Engages in short and long-term planning, sets priorities to optimize time usage, adheres to schedules and plans.
● Self Development – Learn and grows, maintains current knowledge in the field and advancements in pesticide application technology and machinery transport safety and compliance.
● Accountability and Productivity – Holds themselves accountable to team members, accepts responsibility for their own decisions, sustains peak performance and solves problems that impede productivity.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
● Accuracy - attention to detail is critical
● Organization - experience creating and implementing processes
● Willingness to work as a team
● Experience working with Google sheets, MS Excel, Metrc
● Must maintain current knowledge and adhere to all policies and regulations of the Bureau of Cannabis Control, Cal Cannabis and California Department of Public Health.
EDUCATION & WORK EXPERIENCE:
● Bachelor's Degree in Agriculture ,Farm Management, Agribusiness, Soil Crop Management or similar areas of study.
● Must be at least 21 years of age
● Have a Valid CA Drivers License and be insurable
● Excellent time management and organizational skills in a fast-paced environment
● Excellent interpersonal skills
● Acts and dresses professionally
● Ability to work well remotely and while off site
● Operates as a team player
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills
● Strong organizational and follow-up skills
● Flexible in work schedule as needed
● Available to be on call 24/7
● Respirator fit test and medical evaluation
● Demonstrated 2+ years experience working in the Cannabis industry
● Bilingual in spanish and english
● Private applicators certificate for pesticide application
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.