Centers for Disease Control and PreventionCincinnati, OH
Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Research Health Physicist (Direct Hire) =======================================
##### Department of Health And Human Services
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
##### National Institute for Occupational Safety & Health; Division of Compensation Analysis & Support
- ##### Open & closing dates
06/25/2019 to 07/08/2019
- ##### Service
- ##### Pay scale & grade
- ##### Salary
$108,936 to $141,619 per year
- ##### Appointment type
- ##### Work schedule
3 vacancies in the following location:
Cincinnati, OH 3 vacancies
##### Relocation expenses reimbursed
##### Telework eligible
Yes as determined by agency policy
- Duties ------
The primary purpose of these positions are to conduct radiation dose reconstruction research and to provide senior scientific consultative services to leadership. Assigned research includes the design of studies and methods to solve novel and obscure ionizing radiation dose reconstruction problems, complicated by geographical, behavioral and physiological factors unique to each individual claimant.
Learn more about this agency
As a Research Health Physicist (Direct Hire), you will:
- Plan, design, and conduct basic and applied research in radiation dose reconstruction used to complete individual dose reconstructions or the feasibility thereof. - Provide professional expertise in investigating the relationship between radiation exposures and the onset of cancer. - Provide expert advice and senior scientific consultation to senior management in evaluating dose reconstruction areas of interest. - Provide professional expertise on the unique radiation exposure scenarios of nuclear facilities, characterization of dose and uncertainty associated with internal and external radiation exposures. - Prepare written technical reports on radiation exposure research findings for internal use and for publication in scientific peer review journals and present findings to professional scientific organizations.
### Travel Required
25% or less - You may be expected to travel for this position up to 20% domestic and 5% international.
##### Supervisory status
##### Promotion Potential
- #### Job family (Series)
1306 Health Physics
- Requirements ------------
### Conditions of Employment
- US Citizenship is required. - Background Investigation is required. - E-Verify: If you are selected for this position, the documentation that you present for purposes of completing the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Form I-9 will be verified through the DHS "E-Verify" System. Federal law requires DHS to use the E-Verify System to verify employment eligibility of all new hires, and as a condition of continued employment obligates the new hire to take affirmative steps to resolve any discrepancies identified by the system. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services is an E-Verify Participant. - Direct Deposit: All Federal employees are required to have Federal salary payments made by direct deposit to a financial institution of their choosing. - All qualification requirements must be met by the closing date of the announcement. - One-year probationary period may be required. - Travel, transportation, and moving expenses will be paid: No - Bargaining Unit Position: Yes - Drug Screening Required: Yes - Recruitment Incentive may be authorized: No - Relocation Incentive may be authorized: Yes - Annual Leave for non-federal service may be authorized: Maybe authorized - Research position: Yes, Since this is a research position, an evaluation of the scientific contributions, recognition and professional standing of the researcher as they relate to the position being filled will be made to determine qualifications. Candidates should include all pertinent information regarding their research accomplishments, e.g.list of publications and presentations. - Promotion potential: No - Supervisory position: No
A. Degree: natural science or engineering that included at least 30 semester hours in health physics, engineering, radiological science, chemistry, physics, biology, mathematics, and/or calculus.
B. Combination of education and experience -- courses as shown in A above, plus appropriate experience or other education; or certification as a health physicist by the American Board of Health Physics, plus appropriate experience and other education that provided an understanding of sciences applicable to health physics comparable to that described in paragraph A.
Applicants must have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-13 in the Federal service as defined in the next paragraph.
Specialized experience is experience which is directly related to the position which has equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) to successfully perform the duties of the position to include experience planning, designing, conducting, and communicating basic and applied research in radiation dose reconstruction used to complete individual dose reconstructions and/or investigate the relationship between radiation exposure and the onset of cancer.
Education completed in colleges or universities outside the United States may be used to meet the education requirements. You must provide acceptable documentation that the foreign education is comparable to that received in an accredited educational institution in the United States. For more information on how foreign education is evaluated, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/jobs/future-applicant-information.html.
### Additional information
**This position is being filled through Direct Hire Authority for this occupation and is open to all US Citizens.**
Vacancies will be filled through OPM's Direct Hire Authority. Veterans' preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants do not apply to positions filled under this announcement. All applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements will be forwarded to the selecting official for consideration. Applications received as a result of job fairs, recruitment events, and emergency hiring mechanisms in support of this hiring initiative will also be accepted during the duration of the direct-hire authority.
For more information on OPM's authorization of Direct Hire Authority, please visit: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/hiring-information/direct-hire-authority/
Additional selections may be made within the same geographical location CDC-wide.
If you are a veteran with preference eligibility and you are claiming 5-points veterans' preference, you must submit a copy of your DD-214 or other proof of eligibility. If you are claiming 10-point veterans' preference, you must also submit an SF-15, "Application for 10-Point Veterans' Preference" plus the proof required by that form.
For more information on veterans' preference see http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
Males born after December 31, 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see http://www.sss.gov). For information on "People with Disabilities" please visit http://opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP): For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible see http://opm.gov/rif/employee\_guides/career\_transition.asp\#ictap. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated at 85.0 or above on the rating criteria for this position.
To view the questionnaire, click on the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10529225
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document(s), view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
### How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the application process is complete, a review of the resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and/or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and/or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics).
- Knowledge in the comprehensive practice of Health Physics - Knowledge of radiation risk and effects - Knowledge of roles and responsibilities of dose reconstruction under the Energy Employees Occupational Illness Compensation Program Act (EEOICPA) - Skill in communicating complex scientific information. - Skill in conducting radiation exposure assessment research
### Background checks and security clearance
##### Security clearance
##### Drug test required
##### Position sensitivity and risk
Critical-Sensitive (CS)/High Risk
##### Trust determination process
- Required Documents ------------------
**To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:**
1. Your r?sum? showing work schedule, hours worked per week, dates of employment and duties performed. 2. Other supporting documents:
- Cover Letter, optional - Veterans Preference Documentation, if applicable - Transcripts: **Required\*** - Schedule A Eligibility Letter, if you are applying as a Schedule A candidate - Career Transition Assistance Program documentation, if applicable (e.g., Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction-In-Force Separation Notice, or Notice of Proposed Removal; SF-50 that documents the RIF separation action; and most recent performance appraisal).
\*Note: You may submit an unofficial transcript or a list of college courses completed indicating course titles, credit hours, and grades received. An official transcript from an accredited educational institution is required if you are selected for the position.
Failure to submit any of the above mentioned required documents may result in loss of consideration due to an incomplete application package. It is your responsibility to ensure all required documents have been submitted.
For R?sum? and Application Tips visit: https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/Tips. #### If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
- Benefits --------
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply ------------
To apply for this position, you must complete the online application and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section. A complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on07/08/2019 of this announcement to receive consideration.
- To begin, click Apply to access the online application. You will need to be logged into your USAJOBS account to apply. If you do not have a USAJOBS account, you will need to create one before beginning the application. - Follow the prompts to select your r?sum? and/or other supporting documents to be included with your application package. You will have the opportunity to upload additional documents to include in your application before it is submitted. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. - After acknowledging you have reviewed your application package, complete the Include Personal Information section as you deem appropriate and click to continue with the application process. - You will be taken to the online application which you must complete in order to apply for the position. Complete the online application, verify the required documentation is included with your application package, and submit the application.
To verify the status of your application, log into your USAJOBS account (https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login), all of your applications will appear on the Welcome screen. The Application Status will appear along with the date your application was last updated. For information on what each Application Status means, visit: https://www.usajobs.gov/Help/how-to/application/status/.
If you cannot apply online:
You are encouraged to apply online. If you are unable to apply online, please use the Alternate Application link listed in the Additional Information section of this vacancy announcement. Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply online if at all possible. Applying online, through your USAJOBS account, will expedite the application process and allow you to check your application. If you utilize the Alternate Application method, your USAJOBS account will not display this application and you will not receive status updates.
### Agency contact information
### CDC HELPDESK
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, NIOSH 1600 Clifton Road, N.E. Atlanta, GA 30333 US
Learn more about this agency
### Next steps
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. The most highly qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. We expect to make a selection within 45 days of the closing date of this announcement.
You will receive notice via email once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
- Fair & Transparent ------------------
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
### Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
### Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace. - An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
#### Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability - Social security number request - Privacy Act - Signature and false statements - Selective Service - New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/536937900. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Get fresh Research Health Physicist (Direct Hire) jobs daily straight to your inbox!