Medical Lab Technician
Location: BREMERTON, WASHINGTON, UNITED STATES
Field: Professional Clinical/Allied Health
Requisition #: 2019-R0213165
Post Date: 13 hours ago
Facility: Harrison Medical Center
Location: Bremerton, WA
Job Status: Part-Time
CHI Franciscan Health has exciting and rewarding careers with competitive salaries and benefits. We are a family of hospitals, health care services, and medical providers delivering compassionate care to people throughout the South Puget Sound. We are part of Catholic Health Initiatives, one of the largest not-for-profit health care systems in the country.
Our mission is to deliver high quality care that meets our patients' medical needs while providing emotional and spiritual support to patients and their families. We believe this three-part approach - physical, emotional, and spiritual - is essential to healing the whole person. Come join our team!
Performs moderately complex to highly complex and specialized clinical laboratory tests/analyses using manual or automated techniques to obtain data for use in the diagnosis, management and treatment of disease/injury. Specific areas of accountability may include one, or a combination of, the following disciplines: transfusion service, microbiology, chemistry, coagulation, hematology, immunology, and urinalysis. Work includes 1) pretesting and processing samples, 2) performing, analyzing, interpreting, and confirming tests, 3) documenting and delivering timely test results and 4) operating and maintaining standard Lab instrumentation and equipment.
Given the critical importance of test results to patient care and clinical outcomes, an incumbent is accountable for ensuring the accuracy of test results and related analyses based on adherence to established standards, procedures and regulatory requirements for test analysis, quality control, quality assurance, safety, blood-borne pathogen/infection control, specimen handling/processing and documenting/reporting patient results. While controls may affect certain decision -making opportunities, an incumbent is expected to exercise sound judgment to monitor, control, and assess tests conditions, specimen quality, chemical/biologic reactions, and instrument function. An MLT is expected to seek advice from a Tech-in-Charge or an MT when the ability to resolve a problem is limited by training or experience.
Work requires knowledge of the major disciplines of laboratory practice (e.g. blood bank, chemistry, hematology, coagulation, immunology, urinalysis, and microbiology). An incumbent applies knowledge of scientific principles and theory to determine the causes or possible significance of abnormalities and departures from the norm when test results do not conform to expectations.
Incumbents are also accountable for: 1) meeting technical training requirements, 2) maintaining awareness of procedure changes, 3) updating knowledge, skills and applying those competencies, and 4) following department standards for excellence.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs pretesting and processing samples (Pre-Analytic).
- Evaluates and reports patient results for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease for patients of all ages (Post-Analytic).
- Performs and evaluates quality control to ensure quality patient care.
- Maintains standard laboratory instrumentation and equipment.
Education/Work Experience Requirements
- Associate degree and completion of an accredited MLT/MT program OR the equivalent education and experience that qualifies for national registration through the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
- One year of clinical laboratory experience in the last five years is preferred.
- National Registration as an MLT(ASCP)CM, MLT(ASCP) or equivalent (e.g. AMT), or registry-eligible at date of hire. If not already held, national certification must be obtained within six months of date of hire.
- Depending on assignment, current certification through Washington State as a Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy may be required. Where applicable, certification as a Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy must be obtained within eight (8) weeks of assignment. Phlebotomy duties will be assigned once the incumbent receives certification as a Medical Assistant-Phlebotomy.
- Requisition ID: 2019-R0213165
- Schedule: Part-time
- Shift: Night Job
- Market: CHI-Franciscan Harrison Medical Center
Chances are, you're here because you're looking for a career offering greater opportunity, challenge and fulfillment. We're confident you'll find all three at CHI. As one of the nation's largest nonprofit health systems, we offer a wealth of careers across more than 101 hospitals in 18 states. Our faith-based health system welcomes you to share in our mission of building healthier communities, whether as a surgeon in the operating room or an administrator in a conference room. When you work in a supportive environment with like-minded professionals, wonderful things happen. Learn More
Equal Opportunity Employment
Consistent with our Core Values, Catholic Health Initiatives employers are EEO/AA/M/F/Vets/Disabled Employers. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employement without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, protected veteran status, disabilitiy or any other legally protected characteristic.