Legal Assistant - Afghan Program Support
- Posted: over a month ago
Department: Immigration Legal Services - Afghan Support Program
Employment Type: Full Time (40hrs/wk.); non exempt
Reports to: Immigration Assistant Director
Location: SE Portland
Compensation: $19.00 - $21.00
Who We Are:
Catholic Charities of Oregon was named by the Portland Business Journal as the #2 Non-profit in their list of 2021 Most Admired Companies. Founded in 1933, Catholic Charites of Oregon is one of Oregon's oldest nonprofit social service agencies whose mission is to assure that essential, life-saving services and supports are accessible to the most vulnerable Oregonians.
Who You Are:
Catholic Charities Immigration Legal Services (CCILS) provides high quality immigration legal services to low-income immigrants and their families, and engages in public education, training, and community outreach to promote justice for all newcomers and encourage their full participation in American Society. A successful person in this role is compassionate, has great communication skills, and has administrative experience supporting an Attorney.
What You Will Work On:
- Assist program attorneys and accredited representatives in preparing and filing client applications and monitoring open cases.
- Frequent written and oral correspondence with clients and potential clients, including answering phones, greeting the public, providing information and referral, scheduling and facilitating client appointments, closing cases.
What You Bring:
Education, Certifications, and Licensure Requirements/Preferences
- Associates Degree or equivalent lived and or worked experience preferred.
- 2 year's previous legal assistance experience in the immigration law field preferred.
- Multi-cultural/multi-lingual experience preferred; work specifically with refugee and immigrant populations strongly preferred
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. English required. Demonstrated fluency in a second language is preferred (especially with languages common in Afghan communities such as Dari, Farsi, and Pashto).
Additional Information - We Take Care of Our People
- 100% employer-paid health, dental, vision, and alternative care benefits for the employee.
- 100% employer-paid long-term disability and life insurance.
- Paid vacation, sick, personal and 12 paid holidays.
- Retirement benefit with employer match and discretionary contribution.
- Employee Assistance Program.
- Catholic Charities of Oregon employees may qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness government-sponsored education loan repayment program.
- Full list of benefits can be found on Careers home page under Resources link. Please note these benefits are subject to change.
We are proud of our healthy work culture at Catholic Charities of Oregon. We care for our employees so they can take care of others. Our approach includes everything from support for continued training and education to a strong focus on allowing each employee to own their job and become a thought leader in their area of service. Together, we work to make a concrete, hands-on difference in our community.
Catholic Charities of Oregon requires all employees to confirm they are fully vaccinated, or in the process of receiving the COVID-19 vaccination. Employees can submit the Oregon Health Authority (OHA) request for exception form for medical or religious accommodation. COVID-19 testing in lieu of being vaccinated or having an approved medical or religious exception is not an option.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER/VETERANS/DISABLED
Catholic Charities of Oregon is dedicated to promoting diversity, multiculturalism, and inclusion across our agency. Catholic Charities of Oregon recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, genetic information, equal pay, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law. Applicants and employees need not be Catholic.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
LegalView all jobs at Catholic Charities