Veterinary Technician - Neurology
Carolina Veterinary Specialists Winston-Salem, NC
- Posted: over a month ago
Carolina Veterinary Specialists is looking for a qualified Veterinary Technician to work in our Neurology department at the Winston Salem location. The position requires arotating on-call schedule for nights and weekends.
** PLEASE NOTE: All applicants must have at least 1 year experience as a veterinary assistant/technician to be considered for this position. **
Neurology Technician/Assistant Job Description:
1. Ability to lift (or help lift) and restrain patients.
2. Ability to demonstrate excellent client communication skills. Neurological disease can be difficult for clients to understand. Compassion, patience, professionalism and kindness to all clients whether in person or on the phone is a must.
3. Ability to proficiently place peripheral IV catheters.
4. Ability to anesthetize, monitor (all aspects including EKG, SPO2, ETCO2 & Doppler) and recover a patient from anesthesia.
5. Ability to properly perform patient treatments, administer medications, decipher changes in patient progress and report accurate findings to the doctor.
6. Ability to assist in Neurological examinations and perform diagnostics (to include blood work, radiographs, CT scan, MRI, Electrodiagnostics, etc), assist in surgery and maintain hospital care of patients.
7. Ability to take an accurate and detailed history from clients.
8. Ability to work with all other technicians within Neurology and in hospital as a team, including shared case responsibility, cleaning, stocking and other hospital duties.
9. Ability to keep on top of paperwork and the compiling of patient files.
10. Ability to handle all aspects of client communication with regard to informational calls, client follow up and general client questions about their in-hospital or at-home pet's status.
11. Ability to show compassion and patience to Neurology patients which can prove to be the most challenging and difficult nursing care in the hospital.
12. Ability to maintain and further develop Neurological case load within CVS with excellent client and patient care.
Qualified Candidates will possess the following:
At least 1 year of experience as an assistant/technician
Strong technical skills including venipuncture, catheter placement, general laboratory, anesthesia and pharmacology skills
Knowledge of normal patient parameters
Knowledge of medical terminology
Ability to administer and knowledge of medication and fluid therapies
Ability to work both independently with little supervision as well as part of a team
Strong work ethic and good organizational and multi-tasking skills
Able to lift 50 pounds
Credentialed technician preferred but not required of the right candidate