Systems Architect Ophthalmology
Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc. Fremont, CA
- Posted: 24 days ago
- $175,000 to $185,000 Yearly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical, vision, 401k,
The Ophthalmic Systems Architect is responsible for driving systems architecture design, trade-off analysis, implementation, and validation across cloud-ready ophthalmic diagnostics products. This role collaborates with various functions within ZEISS to define systems requirements for performance, cost, manufacturability, serviceability, and reliability from hardware through software and user experience. The Ophthalmic Systems Architect works from concept phase through commercial launch to ensure meeting customer needs and exceeding their expectations. Deep passion and experience in developing consumer products from prototyping through productization is crucial for success in this role.
· Lead system architecture design, modeling, performance simulations, and trade off analysis.
· Assume full responsibility of the hardware architecture and partner with the software architecture lead for integration of the entire system.
· Contribute to new product and platform architecture for ophthalmic diagnostics, emphasizing elements of performance, reliability, serviceability, manufacturability, and cost as required.
· Actively participate in requirements specifications at various levels from hardware through software, algorithms, and user interface to ensure customer and business needs are articulated and translated to subsystems requirements.
· Play a central role in cross-functional R&D teams from concept phase through commercial launch to ensure performance and cost targets are achieved.
· Working closely with other departments including Product Management, Marketing, Strategic Sourcing, Service and Manufacturing to define, detail, document, and analyze manufacturability, reliability, serviceability, cost, and performance requirements.
· Participate in prototyping effort for design options evaluations as necessary.
· Influence technology roadmaps by outlining improvements and opportunities to push the technology boundaries in future products.
· Plan and conduct in-depth design reviews. Communicate designs, trade-offs, and future directions to team members and senior leadership.
· Provide technical leadership to other team members.
· Participate in technical conferences with the goal of awareness of cutting-edge technologies and clinical applications.
Note: Essential functions may not be limited to the tasks and responsibilities listed within this section. Ordering of essential functions does not necessarily reflect importance of item.
· B.Sc. degree in Engineering or Physics.
· Ten (10) years of professional experience in systems engineering and/or hardware architecture design. A related M.Sc. or Ph.D. may be considered in lieu of a portion of the experience requirement.
· Three (3) years of experience in systems architecture and platform design.
· Working knowledge of or prior experience in one or more of the following areas: Ophthalmic imaging, medical electro-optical instruments, optomechanical instruments, image processing and computer vision, cloud services and edge computing, and consumer electronics.
· Demonstrated history of developing commercially successful products.
· Comfortable with working through ambiguities and adapting/responding quickly to change and work in a fast-paced environment.
· Strong collaborator and creative problem solver.
· Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
· M.Sc. or Ph.D. degree.
· Experience in agile development framework for hardware and software.
· Experience in medical device development, ophthalmic instruments, or high-volume consumer products.
· Customer-driven product development experience.
· Experience with thermal, airflow, FMEA, and FEA simulation analysis.
Carl Zeiss Meditec, Inc.Why Work Here?
One of the global leaders in the optical and optoelectronic industries and has been contributing to technological progress for 170 years.
ZEISS is one of the world’s leading innovators in the design and development of medical devices. We create and supply cutting-edge technologies and application-oriented solutions for ophthalmology and microsurgery.