Human Resource Generalist
Carl Sandburg College Galesburg, IL
- Posted: over a month ago
- $34,400 to $35,600 Yearly
- Benefits: dental, life insurance, medical,
Purpose: Support the Director of Human Resources in providing a confidential and centralized resource to college-wide employees. Main point of contact for employee recruitment, advertisement, marketing, and on-boarding.
Classification: Mid-Management, Non-Exempt/Non-Bargaining Unit
Supervises: Student Workers
Reports To: Director of Human Resources
Principal Working Relationships: Director of Human Resources, Coordinator of Human Resources, Benefits Manager, Staff, Faculty and External Clients
- Support the college Risk Management Program objectives by monitoring such topics and activities as human resource recruitment and selection, affirmative action, fair employment practices, employee assistance.
- Responsible for input and continued maintenance of data into the human resource database and spreadsheet records.
- Select, supervise, train and evaluate human resource student workers.
- Coordinate the administration of hiring process, including advertisements (social media, career fairs, etc.), requisitions, postings, applicant communications, payment of invoices, preparations for interviews, and other employment procedures as required.
- Manage the hiring process software system, including maintenance of the agency preferences and password allowances on the hiring process software system.
- Train and assist budget managers on the use of the hiring process software system.
- Daily functions of the personnel office, (i.e., answering telephone, correspondence, filing, tuition waivers).
- Coordinate employee on-boarding process, including new employee paperwork, background checks, conducting orientations, tours, and management of the HR web orientation and materials. This responsibility includes the continuous improvement of the processes and software development as needed.
- Review and revise position descriptions with hiring managers, and to ensure updated college language.
- Maintain current and terminated employee personnel files. Apply for disposal of records annually for appropriate files, scan and save files, shred after completion.
- Coordinate the digitization process of terminated employee’s personnel files.
- Creation and processing of spreadsheets, including but not limited to, assessment of departmental outcomes, new hire reporting, end of year reporting.
- Responsible for end of year processes and reporting, ex. Fiscal year end payroll roll manual entries, etc.
- Participate in the establishment of strategic initiatives and the assessment of the department’s key performance indicators.
- Participate in the interviewing process.
- Responsible for the Economic Interest Statement process.
- Prepare annual and semi-annual forms and maintain forms supply.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist with office duties such as copying, scanning, records management, maintain copy codes, maintaining the HR calendar and conference room bookings, file maintenance, process incoming mail.
- Provide employees assistance with benefit information.
- Preparation of monthly billings, salary surveys, and employment verifications.
- Assist with special Human Resources projects.
- Office planning, development and implementation of policies, procedures and practices.
- Office communications.
- FMLA events to include discussions, documentation and follow-up.
- Annual Service Award preparations.
Risk Management and Loss Prevention Activities
- Actively participate in and carry out activities in support of the college’s Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position.
- Monitor conditions, events, and circumstances present in the college operation to avoid potential torts or injuries to students, staff, or the general public, then communicate observations to the appropriate supervisor and/or Risk Management Committee.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the college’s emergency procedures and how to operate emergency phone systems; including internal/external call boxes.
- Ensure that all human resource records are kept confidential.
Minimum Necessary Skills, Experience and Educational Background
- Associate Degree or 60 hours of college credit or related specialized training and a minimum of two years related experience required; Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Working knowledge of payroll/human resource practices and procedures preferred.
- High level of knowledge of advertising, social media and marketing platforms preferred.
- High level of knowledge of data entry, computer systems and software including spreadsheets, word processing and Microsoft Office suite.
- Strong organizational, communication, interpersonal, presentation, and public speaking skills, positive mental attitude, and a willingness to learn new aspects of the job.
- The ability to communicate successfully with clients of all ages, socio-economic status, sex, or race.
- Required to maintain confidentiality.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Spanish or French proficiency preferred.
Physical Requirements to Perform Job Functions
- General physical efforts required includes sitting, standing, walking, bending, reaching, and some lifting (less than 20 pounds).
- Basic dexterity skills (computer work, telephoning).
This position is declared security sensitive and will require a background check as a pre-employment qualifier.
Carl Sandburg College is an EOE employer.
Carl Sandburg College
Carl Sandburg College is dedicated to serving the educational needs of western and central Illinois. The College has served the area for 50 years with accreditation that has been approved by The Higher Learning Commission. Individual and community improvement through education is the goal of Sandburg and we strive to give individuals the ability to think critically, to realize their human potential, and to become a constructive force in their environment. The mission of Carl Sandburg College is to provide all students with opportunities for success.
2400 Tom L. Wilson Blvd.Galesburg, IL
BusinessView all jobs at Carl Sandburg College