Currently, CareMount Medical is looking to hire a Specimen Processor for a full-time role at our Brewster Laboratory location. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone looking to begin their career in the Laboratory sciences at one of New York's finest healthcare organizations right here in the Hudson Valley. We provide competitive pay, benefits, tuition reimbursement and the chance to grow in one's career. If you have what it takes... apply today!!
Hours - 3:00PM - 8:00PM
Position Overview: Provides laboratory services for the following: receive , sort, identify, process, and distribute specimens to all technical sections. Enter requisition information and patient results into the computer system; call statistical results, answer phone, code charge slips, train new employees and perform related clerical duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (including but not limited to the following):
• Accessions or verifies previously accessioned orders in the Order Management System.
• Makes corrections to orders as needed before receiving them into the Lab System.
• Places barcode labels appropriately onto specimens received.
• Centrifuges specimens appropriately.
• Prepares and labels aliquots of specimens to various laboratory departments.
• Prepares send out manifests for reference lab work and packs specimens according to manifest.
• Calls the reference lab as needed to verify specimen requirements and to arrange special handling of specimens.
• Alerts the supervisor to improperly collected specimens or mislabeled specimens.
• Expedites add on testing by locating a previously collected specimen and building an order.
• Performs phlebotomy on a limited emergent basis if properly training to do so.
• Maintains a chain of custody for irreplaceable specimens according to MKMG policies.
• Maintains patient confidentiality.
• Rectifies reference lab pending logs and posts results that are held in the fix queue.
• Performs related work as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of laboratory techniques to perform specimen processing.
• Knowledge of container and minimum volume requirements for testing.
• Knowledge of environmental conditions that effect or alter specimens and test results.
• Skill in labeling and dispersing specimens to the appropriate stations.
• Skill in interacting with medical staff.
• Skill in using multiple computer systems and knowledge of how they work together.
Typical Physical Demands:
• Requires full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination.
• Frequent standing, walking and sitting required for long periods of time is required.
• Must be able to lift and carry items weighing up to 30 lbs.
• Requires visual acuity and normal color perception.
Working Conditions: Exposure to communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a medical group and laboratory environment.
Qualifications and Education:
• High School diploma or GED and on the job training
• One year of laboratory experience in accessioning and specimen processing department preferred.
Alternative to Minimum Qualifications: Additional appropriate education may be substituted for the minimum experience requirement.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. CareMount is an EO employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability