1. Narrative Summary of Position
- Capital for Change (C4C) is the largest full-service Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) in Connecticut offering capital solutions that create and sustain lasting positive change for low-income communities by broadening social and economic participation and encouraging economic growth and environmental sustainability. We champion projects of all kinds with an approach that one size does not fit all, enabling us to create high impact products and programs that create and preserve affordable housing, increase energy efficiency, finance mixed-use development, and assist nonprofit organizations.
- This position’s primary responsibilities are to source and underwrite commercial loan requests and close and monitor loans to expand C4C’s mission and impact with a focus on C4C’s construction and permanent loans for multifamily affordable housing. The Loan Officer will work closely with the Lending team to provide technical assistance and excellent customer service. The job will include regular travel throughout the State.
2. Specific Responsibilities
- Build and maintain close working relationships with referral sources, potential partners, potential borrowers and funding sources.
- Grow the multifamily portfolio through helping develop effective marketing and communications strategies and directly prospecting multifamily housing owners, managers, developers and brokers throughout the State.
- Promote C4C’s multifamily products and services by actively participating in industry conferences, workshops, broker and investor meetings, training and other activities.
- Identify and work with other lenders on loan participation opportunities.
- Provide informal technical assistance and referrals where appropriate.
- Monitor market needs and assist in development of new products/programs as appropriate.
- Assist Lending department in meeting lending goals
Loan Underwriting and Approval
- Assess applicant's financial strength by reviewing financial statements, audits, tax returns, credit reports and organizational documents.
- Assess applicant's organizational capacity to carry out a project by reviewing experience, references, development team, etc.
- Assess strength and feasibility of projects by reviewing project descriptions, scopes of work, financing sources and uses, pro forma development and operating budgets, real estate valuations and appraisals, environmental reports, insurance coverage, neighborhood and community characteristics
- Provide informal technical assistance through the application and underwriting process and, as needed coordinate delivery of formal technical assistance activities through internal and external sources.
- Understand how other C4C products, including subsidy funds and energy funds, can be leveraged in loan structuring
- Prepare Loan Approval Document (LAD) and Risk Ratings in accordance with internal credit and programs requirements and present to Loan Committee or other loan approval authority as designated in Loan Policies.
- Develop comprehensive understanding of C4C’s loan products and programs, policies and procedures and assist in updating and modifying where needed.
Loan Closing, Monitoring and Administration
- Assist in loan closing activities including coordination with attorney, review of commitment letters and documents as needed.
- Manage contracting with relevant consultants (e.g. appraisers, inspectors, etc.)
- Prepare booking form for onboarding loans and compiling impact data.
- Assist in reporting to funders as needed.
- Assist in modification, renewal and work out of loans as needed.
- Provide support and input to Portfolio Manager in an ongoing capacity for collections, annual reviews, modifications, risk rating changes, workouts, etc…
- Review, approve and track loan draw requests and third-party expense reimbursements.
Other activities as needed and directed by supervisor.
3. Core Competencies
- Analytical skills, risk assessment, organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently and to collaborate with a team.
- Computer competencies including Office 365, especially Excel and Word skills, and ability to learn other software applications.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and to operate productively without extensive supervision.
- Good problem solving abilities
- Commitment to clear, detailed, service-oriented communication with borrowers and C4C colleagues.
- Commitment to equitable community development and the core mission of C4C.
4. Required Experience & Certifications
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in relevant field (i.e. real estate, finance, urban planning, or business).
- Minimum three years of loan underwriting experience at a CDFI, bank or other financial institution related to affordable housing development, and commercial and housing real estate construction.
- Proven ability to generate client leads and maintain business relationships.
- Understanding of and experience with community development lending and public and private sector funding sources
- Knowledge of energy lending underwriting a plus.
- Willingness and ability to travel throughout Connecticut market.
- Commercial Credit training highly desirable
The position is currently located in New Haven, CT, but will be relocating to Wallingford, CT in February 2019.