Packager - Baton Rouge
- Posted: over a month ago
Title: Packager (FT / PT) Night Shift
Reports to: Packaging Operators, Packaging Supervisors and Packaging Director
General Summary of Position: The responsibility of the Packager (FT/PT) to assist in the handling, assembly and production of the newspaper and its various components by being able to perform in various assigned positions.
Primary Responsibilities and Essential Duties:
A. Packager Duties
- Turns on and sets up stackers to accommodate the appropriate bundle size and page count.
- Turns on bottom wraps and is ready to change roll when necessary.
- Turns on and sets up Schur Palletizing System and be able to navigate through series of PLC controls, setting the machine up for the appropriate mode of operation “Local or Remote,” operating machine in a manual mode when necessary.
- Replenishes stretch film and cardboard when necessary.
- Works in palletizing cell during production, monitoring its functionality, and corrects errors such as: Lost Slip Sheet, Row Errors, etc.
- Monitors bundle quality and counts; Removes damaged product as necessary.
- Clears jams from stacker by removing and replacing bundle guides and re-start equipment
- Clears jams from strapper, thread strap and restarts equipment.
- Removes and labels completed product from palletizing system ensuring correct product and bundle count before dispatching to circulation.
- Prepares preprints by removing damaged product and jogging them for placement into the feeder for insertion into the paper
- Loads preprinted material into feeders at minimum rate of 8,000 pages per feeder minute which may require loading multiple feeders depending of the page count of the preprints.
- Clears feeder jams when they occur by opening the door, removing the jam, and re-starting the machine.
- Catches, jogs and neatly stacks inserted packages on pallets for later insertion into the newspaper.
- Catches, jogs and neatly stacks papers from the press on pallets for later processing.
- Empties papers that fall into the reject bin at the miss station – corrects papers by adding or removing inserts that may have doubled or by pulling all inserts out.
- Assists in overall cleaning of the department as well as immediate assigned area to ensure a safe working environment.
- Performs all other duties as specified by supervisor
Education, Experience, and Knowledge Requirements:
- Some knowledge of computers
- Some knowledge of production process
- Monitoring – monitoring/assessing performance of yourself or department to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Active Listening – giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the point being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Time management – managing one’s own time.
- Coordination – adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
- Ability to change positions when needed and multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work effectively in a face paced, deadline driven industrial environment.
- Ability to work effectively with coworkers and others.
- Ability to read and interpret manuals for machines, equipment and safety manuals.
- Ability to follow directions and complete job in a safe manner.
- Ability to comprehend verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Ability to quickly respond (with hand, finger, or foot) to a signal (sound, light, picture) when it appears.
- Finger dexterity – Ability to make coordinated movements of the fingers of one or both hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Manual dexterity – Ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
Physical Requirements (sensory acuity)
- The job requires the following demands daily: Hear normal conversation, hear faint sounds, signals, etc., see nearby objects, see distant objects, have accurate color vision, and speak clearly so someone else can understand what you say.
Physical Requirements (coordination, dexterity and strength):
- The job requires working late evenings to night shifts
- The job requires the following physical demands daily: Balancing and bending
- The job requires the following physical demands more than once or twice a week: Grasping, finger dexterity, reaching, standing, twisting, walking, and rapid working speed.
- The job requires the following physical demands once or twice a week: Carrying up to 25 lbs., climbing, crouching, feeling, kneeling, lifting up to 25 lbs., pushing and pulling up to 60 lbs., sitting, stooping, and turning.
- Daily exposed to: Loud noise (up to 80 dB or louder), mechanical hazards (e.g., exposed gears, pulleys, and other moving equipment)
- Production setting with loud noises and machinery.
- Night and weekend work.
The Advocate is committed to recruiting, developing, and promoting a diverse workforce while providing unique opportunities and career paths for our employees.
Capital City Press
AddressBaton Rouge, LA
Transportation and StorageView all jobs at Capital City Press
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?