This position will support the NIH Occupational Medical Service located in Durham, North Carolina.
The Staff Nurse will provide confidential medical services to employees for a variety of work- related medical and counseling services. OMS works under the Department of Health and Safety within NIH and collaborates with safety professionals and NIH researchers. This position is per diem Monday – Friday.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- The incumbent performs duties as described below in accordance with OMS policies and procedures:
- Clinical Responsibilities (70%)
- Independently performs initial evaluation and triaging medical emergencies;
- Assists in the clinical care provided for medical emergencies to include wound care, medication administration, phlebotomy, EKG’s and BGM;
- Assist in implementing health promotion activities within the NIH community;
- Ability to work within a multi-disciplinary team to perform initial assessment, treatment, and counseling of occupational injuries and illness and mental health crises. When necessary make appropriate referrals to internal and external providers related to injury or illness;
- Provide proper documentation and education to employees about workers compensation and work restrictions following an accident or illness;
- Independently conducts pre-placement medical evaluations to include vital signs, hearing/vision testing and EKG’s;
- Enroll and educate employees in appropriate medical surveillance programs (animal exposure program, tuberculosis, and biological surety program);
- Strong working knowledge of how to provide patient education and treatment to employees who may be exposed to blood borne pathogens;
- Provide work related immunizations, including international travel immunizations and counseling to NIH employees;
- Complies with universal precautions, infection control and waste management guidelines;
- Manage triage telephone calls and walk-in patients in a professional and with quick assessment skills.
Administrative Responsibilities (30% )
- Review and revise all sections of the OMS procedure manual annually;
- Participate in quality improvement activities;
- Participate in nurse training and staff meetings.
- Work with OMS Physicians and Mid-Level Providers on new OMS initiatives.
Education and/or Experience
Education: Bachelor of Nursing Science (BSN) or 2 year registered nurse degree if have 5 years of experience as a nurse
Experience: Minimum three years, post nursing licensure. Prefer occupational health background or emergency room experience.
License Licensed as an RN in the state of North Carolina
Certification: Basic Cardiac Life Support through the American Heart Association
Qualifications and Requirements
- Strong written and oral communication skills, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Must have knowledge of worker’s compensation and possess practical knowledge of OSHA guidelines
- Must adhere to HIPAA, Privacy Act guidelines and be able to perform work in a confidential manner.
- Self-motivated with minimal oversight.
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Must have authorization to work in the United States as defined by the Immigration Reform Act of 1986.
Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds.
Sit or stand throughout a regular work day.
Able to work on computer for long periods.
Cape Fox Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates provide equal employment opportunities to all persons and prohibit employment decisions on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, sex, age, disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, or sexual orientation. Cape Fox Corporation, its subsidiaries and affiliates offer preference to Cape Fox Corporation shareholders, descendants and other Native Americans pursuant to Public Law 100-241.
Cape Fox Shared Services
Why Work Here?Cape Fox is a growing Alaska Native Corporation. Our employees provide critical support to our military and other federal agencies. We understand that our talented and dedicated professionals are why our customers want to team with Cape Fox and its subsidiaries. In addition to a welcoming culture, positive work environment and rewarding opportunities, we offer great benefits and competitive compensation.
Fantastic opportunity to work for an incredible company, 401k with 100% match, day one ownership! Awesome leaders, culture, and team!