To provide clerical/secretarial and patient scheduling services, as well as customer service support, to the Cape Cod Hospital Medical Oncology Department.
- Meet and greet patients, families, and visitors. Performs secretarial and other related duties to assist administrative and medical staff. Works collaboratively with providers, and other staff.
- Obtain, enter, and verify patient demographic and insurance information. Collects copays as needed.
- Update and maintain patient records across various Health Information Systems. Print and distribute patient records to other providers and insurance companies in accordance with Hospital policy and state and federal law.
- Verify and enter patient lab orders into Health Information System. Schedule home-draws as needed.
- Provide patient with educational materials, treatment schedule, and specimen collection materials.
- Schedule appointments for follow-up, chemotherapy, labs, second opinions, treatment and others as needed.
- Coordinate with insurance companies to obtain prior-authorization for imaging (CT, MRI, PET, etc.) appointments.
- Maintain communication with patient throughout treatment giving frequent updates and follow-ups.
- Answer telephones, screen and direct calls and messages, and provide information according to department policy.
- Performs other related duties as requested/directed.
- Ability to read, write, and communicate in English.
- Minimum of 1 year previous data entry/computer experience.
- Ability to type 40wpm as demonstrated by a timed test.
- Completion of Medical Terminology course or pass Medical Terminology challenge exam with a grade of 80% or better.
- One year previous experience in a medical office, clinic, or comparable hospital experience required.
- Six (6) months successful experience in dealing with Managed Care, HMOs, and administrative policies, including referral policies, or similar experience is preferred.