Performs various duties to enhance the patient care process in the Oncology Department in accordance with established policies and procedures.
- Navigates the patient flow for providers.
- Under the direction of clinician, prepares the patient record with relevant data prior to the clinic visit.
- Assists members of the Medical/Radiation Oncology Team in maintaining the departmental throughput by placing patients in exam rooms, assisting patients in preparing for exams and procedures, transporting patients, and maintain supplies and equipment.
- Advocates for patients as appropriate and assists in resolving patients concerns.
- Assists in the turnover of rooms as directed.
- Assists in starting procedures (obtaining vital signs, height and weight and entering patient data into the computer; obtaining and transferring of blood to the oncology unit), transferring patients and supporting patients with activities of daily living.
- Assists physician and nurses with procedures as requested.
- Communicates with nurses, radiation therapists, secretaries and others providers to effectively facilitate patient flow. May advise patient of preparation required for exam or additional testing specific to the department and keeps patients informed of visit status, unforeseen delays and other relevant information.
- Ensures the exam rooms and treatment areas are prepared and/or maintained. Cleans and/or maintains supplies and equipment.
- Restocks and maintains clinic supplies and equipment as assigned or directed, checks expiration dates. Maintains refrigerator temperature logs, needle boxes, etc. Assists in maintaining adequate inventories of supplies through accurate reporting of shortages, damaged or defective equipment. Maintains the utility rooms and kitchen in a neat and tidy manner.
- Provides clerical/office support as needed.
- Maintain accurate/timely documentation.
- Assists in orientation of others personnel to the unit under the direction of management.
- Maintains patient privacy and confidentiality.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned or requested.
- Nationally Certified Medical Assistant or LPN
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English
- High School Diploma or GED
- Experience with current office technology and, computer office applications
- Current Basic Life Support Certification required and must maintain certification
- Successful passage of the CCH Written Competency Exam for NA II