Engineering Director, Sustaining Engineering
Canonical - Jobs Anchorage, AK
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
We are hiring a global director to lead our sustaining engineering group. This is a critical team that handles the most difficult customer issues in real time, from the kernel all the way up to the highest levels of the open source stack. This global director will report to the VP, Global Support.
Our customers build large-scale mission critical infrastructure and application solutions on Ubuntu and open source from Canonical. We underpin the largest digital operations on public cloud, private infrastructure and the edge. When a problem occurs that is having a significant impact on a global organisation, our sustaining engineering team fights the fire together with experts from across our many engineering teams. Whether its finding the fast path to a workaround, or finding the permanent fix to be contributed upstream, our rapid response engineers work under pressure to understand the issue and steer the customer to safety.
To be clear, this team is well staffed with experts in every time zone, and while the work is always important to a customer and time is always of the essence, we resource this team to ensure sustainability. Colleagues who work in the rapid response group need to enjoy pressure, but they also get to enjoy a normal work week, time off, and leave. We aim to grow the breadth, depth and scale of the team, maintaining a high level of expertise, resilience and energy, to service our expanding customer base and address an ever increasing range of open source software.
The software your teams will contribute to is all open source and varies from the Linux kernel to packages in Ubuntu and beyond, up to the broad world of open-source applications. This is an exciting opportunity for an engineering director who is passionate about open source software, Linux, and cloud computing.
As an engineering director at Canonical your primary responsibility is to the teams you support: to ensure that they measure results, make improvements, do valuable work, and find career satisfaction at Canonical. Technical leadership is a requirement, so that you're able to challenge and grow your teams. Strong aptitude for planning, management and operations are necessary too. You will have the opportunity to influence our culture, facilitate technical delivery, and work with your teams on strategy and execution.
This job is global and open to applicants in any time zone. Our senior management team works full time remote. As a member of that team, you will find it easiest to work from EMEA or Americas, but great candidates in APAC will also be considered.What you'll do
- Manage and lead a global, distributed team of managers and engineers
- Hire, coach, mentor, provide feedback and career development guidance to your team
- Carry director level engineering responsibilities for team development and performance evaluation
- Carry operational responsibility for shift scheduling
- Measuring and making decisions based on key performance indicators
- Encouraging mentorship and training for new skills across the team
- Support timely delivery of technical solutions in a variety of technology fields
- Build team expertise in Ubuntu Server, OpenStack, Ceph, Kubernetes, Juju & MAAS
- Build team expertise in a wide and growing array of open source applications
- Demonstrate the very best of Canonical in customer interactions
- Lead professional responses to software incidents and outages, through troubleshooting, bug fixes, RCA reports
- Shape the future of Canonical's offerings to improve reliability through architecture discussions
- Set and manage expectations with other engineering teams, senior management, and external stakeholders
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices
- Develop and evangelize great engineering and organizational practices
- Grow a healthy, collaborative engineering culture in line with the company value
- Be an active part of the leadership team and collaborate with other leaders in the organisation
- Work from home with global travel up to 20% for internal and external events
- You love developing and growing healthy teams and have a track record of doing it
- You are knowledgeable and passionate about software development and organizational management
- You display strong team leadership skills, including the ability to work with engineers and management to organize and prioritize complex problem resolution and bug fixes
- You have experience in leading, managing, coaching and mentoring engineering managers towards delivering timely, high quality software together with them
- You are an excellent communicator in the English language, both verbal and written
- You enjoy communication with customers to help satisfy their needs
- You are experienced with Linux, with a preference towards Ubuntu
- You are familiar with OpenStack, Kubernetes and other cloud platforms
Canonical is a growing, international software company that works with the open-source community to deliver Ubuntu -- the world's #1 cloud operating system. Our mission is to realize the potential of free software in the lives of individuals and organisations. Our services are helping businesses worldwide to reduce costs, improve efficiency and enhance security with Ubuntu.
- 100% work-from-home
- Learning and development
- Competitive salary
- Recognition rewards
- Annual leave
- Priority Pass for travel
Canonical is proud to foster a workplace free from discrimination. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and background will lead to a better environment for our employees and a better platform for our users and customers. This is something we value deeply and we encourage everyone to come be a part of the world of Ubuntu.
Canonical - Jobs
EngineeringView all jobs at Canonical - Jobs