Want to learn to Train Dogs?
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
A Dog Trainer Apprentice provides informal life skills training and enrichment activities to dogs in the Private School programs. This position is responsible for the individual supervision, training, control, and management of dogs and puppies in group play settings. There are both paid and unpaid opportunities for this position, including options for college credit, if your college wants to work with us for animal behavior observation. A Private School Assistant maintains a healthy environment for all dogs in the Private School while assuring the daily routine care of all dogs as designed by the Owners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Feeds and provides daily care for all dogs, including administering medicines and when applicable, groom and socialize dogs.
- Follows life skills (socialization, impulse control and obedience) training protocols when interacting and walking dogs.
- Cleans and maintain classrooms and crating areas and sometimes the boarding area (runs and crates), in such a manner as to provide an odor free and low stress environment for the animals.
- Responsible for the supervision, control, and management of assigned dogs in daytime programs classrooms while adhering to best practices and safety protocols
- Drawing upon animal training and handling techniques grounded in positive reinforcement, clicker training, and relationship building, implement life skills training protocols (social skills, impulse control, and obedience skills) with assigned dogs
- Follow daily operation procedures to main a safe, clean environment for dogs. This includes cleaning and maintaining classrooms and crating areas, in such a manner as to provide an odor free, sanitized, and low stress environment for the animal
- Maintain a friendly demeanor and provides good customer service while following check-in/check-out procedures during drop-off/pick-up times
- Performs routine facility cleaning, such as but not limited to dishes, laundry, vacuuming and moping animal and public areas, restocking supplies, and picking up outdoors
- Maintains electronic and paper training records of dogs
- Handles and controls animals that may be difficult to handle
- Handles and controls dogs that may be difficult to handle
- Engages and completes in self-directed learnings and/or on-going learning as assigned
- Perform other duties, as assigned
This position does not exercise supervisory responsibilities.
Preferred: high school diploma or GED
Preferred: 6 months dog experience in dog daycare/vet
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients and dogs
- Ability to communicate effectively with staff and clients through written and verbal forms of communication
- Show respect for clients and dogs at all times
- Work independently and collaboratively with staff
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Maintain a professional appearance and demeanor while at work
- Participate in personal performance appraisal
- Participate in all staff and training meetings
- Attention to details and keen observations skills
- Working knowledge of computers (Mac or PC) and Office and/or ability to learn internal software
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Demonstrate flexibility and proven coping skills
- Specialized training in animal behavior, communication, and/or training or equivalent experience
- Ability to move and handle dogs of all sizes (up to 150 lbs) and temperaments
- Ability to manipulate (lift, carry, move) up to 50 lbs
- Ability to constantly change positions to interact with dogs of varying sizes and transfer dogs in and out of crates/kennels.
- Ability to daily operate a computer and other office equipment, such as a calculator, copy machine, and printer
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to loud noises, exposed to outdoor weather conditions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
AnimalView all jobs at Canine Craze