Senior Training Manager - Curriculum Development
The Sr. Training Manager - Curriculum Development leads a team in the design and development of learning initiatives, from single to more complex multi-part sessions using sound instructional design strategies, blended and non-blended content to align with the developmental performance requirements of the business/ learners. Using current and advanced technologies the role will lead innovative approaches to achieve higher quality and shorter duration to operational competence.
It will be primary in the identification, evaluation and selection of external contracting partners in the development of training solutions with specific, scoped and scheduled contracts of fixed and variable pricing: expected to be collectively > $5MM.
The role will be the senior project manager and quality control of all internal and external training content development to ensure adherence to proven learning principles, learning methodology and CN values, processes and guidelines. Expected to steward >100 project / year.
It will consult with the appropriate clients regarding alignment with other learning content, measurement, communication, learning reinforcement and performance support programs, to ensure adoption and usability of business initiatives.
The role will also be the primary training contact with regulators (Transport Canada and Federal Railroad Association) to ensure adequate alignment to regulated requirements and submissions of required documentation. Manages the Curriculum Development Team.
- Lead the curriculum design team in the development of training content, programs and solutions using current and innovative learning principles, design strategies, blue prints and tools that accurately.
- Design and implement job, task, and needs analysis protocols to map curriculum/ curricula to role-based competencies and validate against regulatory requirements. Track, control and report on compliance alignments.
- Create and operate products, services, systems, and/or processes to continual update, revise, and customise existing content to reflect changes in the business identified job, task, and needs analysis, general interaction with business leaders or formal validation processes and tools. Provide leadership and mentoring to internal/ external resources to ensure adoption.
- Evaluation of training impact through periodic audits and sampling to determine Return On Investment (RoI) over appropriate timeframes and relevant to high cost, high-risk programs and solutions.
- Quality assurance and oversight of the development processes to meet the requirements of legal analysis post accident or incident. Continuous improvement, refinement and application of best practice to curriculums, learning solution design, content and assessments.
- Maintain an advanced knowledge of current, trending and innovative learning technologies that can accelerate or improve learning strategies and programs for CN without compromising safety. Lead staff and external partners in the pursuit of disruptive training solutions that radically improved performance and safety in our operations.
- Serve as the CN primary point of contact with FRA/TC to identify, translate and evaluate regulatory training impacts on CN operations and licence to operate. Provide effective and efficient mitigating solutions to ensure compliance. Interface with regulators regarding training and curriculum-related inquiries; provide training course submissions, course audits, and other related communications in accordance with regulator requirements.
- Leadership as a manager / coach / mentor
- Strong communication skills
- Creative thinker
- Innovative and resilient
- Detail oriented
- Process development, use and control
- Problem solving
- Experience in sourcing / management of external, contract training development providers
- Application of adult learning principles and delivery methodologies
- Comprehensive knowledge of task-based training needs analysis, design, development, and evaluation of specialized curricula
- Knowledge of training planning, forecasting and scheduling
- Experience in concurrent large and small-scale project management, including contract and vendor management
- Knowledge of instructional / trainer competency model and capabilities
- Building partnerships
- Master's Degree in Education is preferred. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
- Demonstrated experience in ISD systems and products.
- 8+ years experience in a relevant learning role.
- Design and consultancy skills considered assets.
- Conduct, coordinate and approve training needs analysis, preferred methodologies, training recommendations and base timelines to generate targeted and task-focused training materials for greater impact and ROI.
- Identify, assign and allocate internal and external curriculum development resources to maximize quality and minimize turnaround time of training requests.
- Coordinate and conduct the identification, selection and contracting of third-party instructional design vendors, control quality of external providers and everyday contract management.
- Audit and evaluate program / course delivery and support instructor performance to identify and address gaps in content or content delivery.
- Develop and implement cost control processes and measures to identify and correct inefficiencies and minimize costs to generate greater ROI.