Director of Transportation
Reporting to the Vice President of Supply Chain, the Director of Transportation is responsible for the overall leadership and day to day operation of our transportation function. Specific areas of responsibility include leading a successful team in all aspects of setting the vision for the team as well as sourcing and operations effectiveness of transportation services. This role is accountable for the development and achievement of monthly, annual and long-term strategic plans as well as operational improvement initiatives related to the safety, quality, cost, efficiency, waste and environmental management of select inbound all outbound transportation operations.
- Develop and implement strategies, processes, and programs to drive maximum quality and efficiency and to achieve the lowest cost of operation.
- Apply personal industry experience and best practices to define and implement a transportation roadmap that establishes an agile, cost-effective, customer focused transportation function
- Hold overall responsibility for the logistics function including operational performance and budgets
- Provide leadership to recruit, retain and develop an engaged, high-performing team in a manner that supports the company’s objective, goals, strategies, and measures, and always in a way that is consistent with core values.
- Serve as an expert in his/her areas of modal specialization (LTL, TL, parcel, ocean, air, etc.) and lead complex, high-value projects
- In collaboration with the other Supply Chain and channel teams, plays an essential role in sourcing domestic and international logistics service providers including management of truckload, reefer, LTL, parcel, ocean and freight payment
- Support our ability to deliver excellent service measured by On-Time Pick-up/Delivery and Damage
- Deliver the most cost-effective transportation services available to satisfy customer needs as measured by outbound/inbound/shuttle spend, carrier utilization accessorial charges and freight bill accuracy including year-on-year continuous expense improvement
- Provide leadership to transportation analysts and cross-functional project teams to secure contracts with strategic suppliers that meet business needs and that lead to supplier simplification
- Identify, recommend and implement carrier solutions to channels including value proposition for any proposed changes (e.g. service, cost, etc.) to influence stakeholders and lead implementation of new contracts collaboratively with channels and Distribution
- Track record of leveraging technology to improve cost and customer experience including strong working knowledge of ERP (implementation experience a plus) TMS, track and trace, freight audit & pay
- Collaborate with other supply chain leaders and their respective teams to achieve cost, quality, inventory measures, safety, customer satisfaction and people development objectives.
- Manage, coach and develop direct reports and their respective teams to achieve work objectives and improve performance and skills.
- Prepare and manage departmental budgets and ensure direct reports have appropriate information, tools, and resources needed to be accountable to their budgets.
- Create, set goals and report business results and KPIs.
- Work with all stakeholders to continuously improve performance through linking systems and people across the value chain.
- Strong team builder and coach with history of helping others achieve their potential.
- Comprehensive understanding of key supply chain processes including planning, transportation, logistics, and quality management.
- Competencies required include business acumen, communication, analytical thinking, self-motivation, action-oriented, results focused, approachable, service oriented, project management and a keen sense of urgency
- Strong analytical skills with solid understanding of financial data and planning.
- Managing multi-channel transportation operations
- Ability to partner cross functionally to achieve desired results.
- Proven success using metrics, productivity tracking and data collection systems to drive continuous performance improvement.
- Ability to proactively manage multiple priorities in a fast paced, change oriented environment.
- Solid interpersonal, verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; certification in supply chain management preferred.
- Senior management level experience in relevant supply chain management functions (multiple areas preferred) including at least 5 years in a leadership role.
- Six Sigma or equivalent lean certifications preferred