As a Route Manager, you will lead a team of collection experts to provide excellent customer service. You will address incoming orders to resolve service-related issues and will work with Routing Dispatch Supervisors and other team members to coordinate and direct drivers. Manages collection routes and driver/laborer performance on a daily basis in single or multiple lines of businesses: Residential, Commercial, and/or Roll-Off.
Essential Job Functions:
- Works with routing specialists, dispatchers, and the service department to optimize routes.
- Dispatches drivers to calls as they are received, using information on customer needs, drivers' locations and loads, and daily factors to balance cost and speed of response.
- Organizes and schedules all necessary resources (Drivers, Trucks, Helpers, etc.) required to accomplish required route completion and other activities.
- Coordinates daily operational needs with maintenance team by LOB each day for following days routes.
- Plans, distributes, monitors, and follows-up daily route assignments.
- Manages the end-of-day de-brief process, capturing and communicating key service, safety, and equipment issues to each individual employee on their respective team.
- Monitors driver and laborer time and attendance, minimizing overtime and ensuring that drivers do not exceed limits established by regulatory agencies (e.g., 12 & 70 hour rule).
- Ensures that drivers comply with physicals, drug or alcohol tests, and training required by company and any regulatory agencies as required.
- Assist with conducting root cause investigations for all injuries and incidents, ensuring consistent discipline and retraining.
- Fields incoming calls from customers or customer service department, managing requests for pick-up or container delivery and ensuring same-day service.
- Initiates outbound calls to customers while drivers are on-site/location, resolving pick-up and other issues.
- Troubleshoots and resolves potential delivery and pick-up problems before they result in service issues.
- Ensures same-day service on missed pick-ups by coordinating driver movement in the field.
- Assists in determining daily level of driver staffing to provide best mix of responsiveness and productivity.
- Identifies and plans deployment for increases/decreases in route volumes, shifting resources in response to seasonal and other fluctuations.
- Records and documents information and distributes to appropriate departments, including: route information, driver productivity information, sales and service issues and opportunities, safety issues, and problem stops.
- Ensures set-up errors and missed pickups are reported and resolved.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Associate’s Degree (accredited), or in lieu of degree, High School diploma or GED (accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations in which coaching, routing assessments and leading employees were requirements of the role.
- Bachelor’s Degree (accredited) and 2 years of relevant work experience in transportation, logistics, or solid waste operations in which coaching, routing assessments and leading employees were requirements of the role.
- Technical skills – Word, Excel, Microsoft Office
- Personal skills to work with all levels of employees, management, and other departments
- Understand how to read a map
- Clean driving record
- Successfully pass pre-employment (post offer) drug screen and background check
- Experience at supervising a union work force is advantageous