Director of Student Account
California Lutheran University Thousand Oaks, CA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position Category: Staff (Exempt)
Location: Thousand Oaks
Under the direction of the University Associate Vice President for Finance and Controller, plan, coordinate and supervise the student billing, cashiering, and student and other receivables functions for the University; serve as the institution’s principal representative in establishing student billing, loan collection, and delinquent receivable collection policies; train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned staff.
- Plans, coordinates and supervises the assessment and collection activities for student receivables; communicate with students regarding student accounts receivable; prepare and respond to correspondence related to student accounts; make payment arrangements with students and parents as appropriate. E
- Serves as the principal institutional officer overseeing policies and procedures for operating the student account receivable, billing, cash receipting and loan collection data system modules, for both the institutional administrative computing system and outsourced systems.
- Coordinates and supervises activities related to assigned federal and University student loan programs; respond to and initiate calls to borrowers; E
- Develops logical coding structures in the Student Accounting module of Ellucian Colleague to ensure consistent information recording and reporting.
- Trains, supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned staff; interview and recommend candidates for employment; recommend salary increases, termination and disciplinary action according to established procedures. E
- Tracks student/borrower enrollment status and present loan exit counseling sessions; reviews delinquent loans for assignment to collection agencies and/or the Department of education; prepares journal vouchers to record transactions in the general ledger as needed.
- Ensures compliance with Federal regulations; monitors and manages the Perkins and institutional loan portfolio in a manner necessary to maintain a low cohort default rate.
- Reviews and approves deferment requests according to established procedures; respond to credit reporting disputes as appropriate. E
- Reviews special student account transactions for fee reduction action; requests credit balance refunds; approves delinquent accounts for collection. E
- Communicates with and respond to requests from auditors and prepare related records; review loan ledger for borrowers and submit to appropriate agencies. E
- Serves on Administrative Information Systems Implementation Team as representative of Business office and technical resource for Accounts Receivable module. E
- Performs timely collection of tuition revenue for the University. E
- Develops e-commerce stores in both a traditional web-based environment and a mobile application environment for and in conjunction with University departments. E
- Administers operator, merchant, and product set-up; including password security, trouble-shooting, and general ledger account reconciliation. E
- Processes credit card refund requests and responding to chargeback disputes received from Merchant Services. E
- Creates customer reports for merchants and auto-report generation when necessary or requested. E
- Provides monthly credit card transaction detail to the banker for cash account reconciliation. E
- Maintains knowledge of industry standard for electronic payments, including; PCI DSS compliance, NACHA compliance, and EMV/NFC encryption regulations. E
- Implements individual and group training for system operators. Training should include, but is not limited to: storefront design and layout; category, item, and reference code creation and reporting; recurring payment options, coupon code administration, and correct G/L account determination. E
- Maintains awareness of vendor updates to current product subscriptions and make recommendations to Controller on future contract negotiations. E
- Develops strategies with new and existing divisions to increase and capture revenue for budgeted, non-budgeted, donor, and sponsorship programs. E
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Accounts receivable and student loan control principles, practices and procedures.
- Principles, practices and terminology used in higher education fiscal procedures.
- Preparation of financial statements and related accounting reports.
- Computer applications to accounting and auditing functions.
- Oral and written communication skills with correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Principles and practices of supervision and training.
- Technical aspects of field of specialty.
- Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
- Analyze financial and statistical data and prepare accounting statements, summary conclusions and recommendations.
- Train, supervise and evaluate the performance of assigned personnel.
- Utilize accounting and auditing practices and terminology applicable to higher education account.
- Operate and utilize computerized accounting systems.
- Utilize Microsoft Office applications proficiently.
- Analyze financial data and prepare reports.
- Interpret, apply and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Plan and organize work.
- Focus attention on detail and accuracy.
- Meet schedules and time lines.
- Work confidentially with discretion.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Anticipate problems, consider solutions and evaluate alternatives
- Effectively interpret, organize and present oral and written presentation
- Actively assist and provide direction to staff
- Motivate staff to achieve high degree of productivity
- Recommend operational policy
Any combination equivalent to: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field and five years of experience working in a billing/collection environment or related accounting field with a minimum of two years supervisory experience.
Minimum of two years of supervisory experience.
Licenses and Other Requirements:
Open Date: 07/14/2021
Close Date: 08/31/2021
Open Until Filled: No
Application Procedure/Special Instructions:
To apply, visit https://careers.callutheran.edu/postings/7706
California Lutheran University is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment for all persons, regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender, gender identity or expression, or any other basis protected by applicable law. No person shall be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination in any program, activity or facility of the University on the basis of these factors in a manner consistent with applicable federal and state laws, regulations, ordinances, orders and rules, and University’s policies, procedures, and processes.
Upon request, reasonable accommodations in the application process can be provided to individuals with qualifying disabilities. Please contact the Human Resources Department for further information or to request an accommodation.
California Lutheran University
The mission of California Lutheran University is to educate leaders for a global society who are strong in character and judgment, confident in their identity and vocation, and committed to service and justice. Founded in 1959 in beautiful Ventura County, the university has an enrollment of about 4,000 undergraduate and graduate students who come from across the nation and around the world from a diversity of backgrounds, cultures and faiths. As a federally recognized Hispanic-Serving Institution, Cal Lutheran is looking for candidates with a dedication to and success in working in diverse communities. The university is committed to an inclusive learning and work environment that values individual differences and respects each person’s dignity.
AddressThousand Oaks, CA